Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Nov-23-12 3:05PM

Ernie
Administrator

Crappie "O", 11-23-12

Curly and I left my house at 8 Am....yes, that is correct. It was cold out and we didn't want to be that cold so we that's why we decided on a later start.

One of the objectives of the day was to see if I had a motor problem or a spun prop. After going through the long No Wake zone, I put the hammer down and on plane we got! Luckily, it is a prop problem and it's already on the way back to the manufacturer.

Once back in the river, we started working the docks but it was slow going although I was able to take the skunk off the boat.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/001-44.jpg

But as I mentioned, it was slow so we went on in to Curly's Crappie hole where we did find a few....

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/002-49.jpg

....along with some teeny BG's!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/003-41.jpg

After drifting around for a bit we found another promising spot and we hit on a double!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/004-46.jpg

Actually, since the live well was in the back, I was having Curly take my fish off for me....

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/005-38.jpg

For the day we caught at least 3 dz crappie (24 came home), 2 juvie stripers and 4-5 of the teeny BG's. Curly used a sliver buddy as well as a couple of different crappie jigs, and yes, he was sometimes jigging up 2 rods at a time. He had a nice 11.5" one along with several 10's! I was using a new fangled double rig that caught fish on the bottom one only but I lost it and then used a fancy white perch jig. I did OK with that one including a nice 11"+ fish and a couple that went 10"+!.

We fished structure but it was not in plain sight, it was the bottom. Sometimes, a foot change made a difference. Once I would find the hole, we would circle it. Good fun!

We were off the water shortly after 3.

It was great being out knowing that tomorrow, winter will come roaring in!!   yikes

When we got home, Curly asked how many I wanted and I said....."all yours"!!   lol

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/006-44.jpg

He has a couple of hours of slicing to do! tongue

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Nov-23-12 3:15PM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Re: Crappie "O", 11-23-12

Nice report and pictures! After my first outing at Occoquan I'm itching to go back out! It's a beautiful place.

What is the fancy white perch jig you were using?

Mustafa
ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

#3 Nov-23-12 3:24PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

It was some good crappie fishing.  Only took me 45 minutes to fillet them all and vaccum seal.  Five 1-pound packs of fillets! big_smile

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#4 Nov-23-12 3:30PM

Ernie
Administrator

AbuMasgouf wrote:

What is the fancy white perch jig you were using?

It's a Minnow Head jig w/ feather and some flash....don't remember where I got them but Curly was using a soft plastic 2" bait that worked very well.

#5 Nov-23-12 3:32PM

Ernie
Administrator

Curly wrote:

Only took me 45 minutes to fillet them all and vacuum seal.  Five 1-pound packs of fillets! big_smile

Nice!

When I got home, my family asked where the all fish where? Oops....roll

#6 Nov-23-12 8:58PM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Curly wrote:

It was some good crappie fishing.  Only took me 45 minutes to fillet them all and vaccum seal.  Five 1-pound packs of fillets! big_smile

Do you have a filled technique that works well? I didn't get a lot of meat when I fillet the crappie I caught...  Just curious if there is a tip to keep in mind for when I bring home more than ONE... LOL!

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

#7 Nov-24-12 5:41AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

AbuMasgouf wrote:

Do you have a filled technique that works well? I didn't get a lot of meat when I fillet the crappie I caught...  Just curious if there is a tip to keep in mind for when I bring home more than ONE... LOL!

Very sharp and thin blade fillet knife...................and lots of practice and patience.  These crappie were "thick shouldered" and had quite a bit of meat on them.

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#8 Nov-24-12 5:53AM

Ernie
Administrator

Agree with Curly but a metal glove is also a must!

1st cut is at an angle (towards the head so you can get some of the best meat) and then you twist the blade to feel the back bone and run the fillet along it. THAT is what takes practice. Then you continue down to the tail without going all the way through and flip the fish to take the meat off the skin.

White perch, crappie and BG's will test your resolve but once you get it, you have it for life!

#9 Nov-24-12 11:17AM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

Looks like you guys had a great time out there. You couldn't have  picked a better to fish. It is freezing today!

Nice work guys!!!!

#10 Nov-24-12 2:55PM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Thanks for the tips gents...  Hopefully I'll be able to come home with plenty of crappie in the future to practice those skills smile

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback

#11 Nov-26-12 5:46AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

What a crappie day.

Nice haul guys.

tight lines

Board footer