Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-24-12 7:33PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

Nationals Baseball

In my view, the team has gathered an exciting and capable group of ballplayers.

I enjoy the coverage on MASNHD.

I have been to the park twice. The prices are outrageous, but it was important to attend in order to grasp the scale and grace of the live contest.

I wish the team well

#2 Jul-25-12 3:38AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Nationals Baseball

Yes sir it has been a good run so far this year. You could see it happening the last 6 weeks of last year.

Davey Johnson knows the game and handles his players expertly.

For someone who has followed Washington baseball since 1961 (well, we did have a break from 1972 until 2005), this is an exiting time.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jul-25-12 5:39AM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

I enjoy seeing individual talent flourish in the context of the team.

Infielders hitting for power, outfielders in for the glove and arm strength, guys coming off the bench for clutch hits, pitchers as legitimate hitters, catchers stealing bases.

This is good for the game

#4 Jul-25-12 7:07AM

Ernie
Administrator

bigjeffie wrote:

This is good for the game

Perhaps more that we think.....

You are totally correct in your analysis. There is a plan and all the players have bought in....they pick each other up.

There was a moment after Morse hit a 2 run dinger in the top of the 10th where he came over and hugged Harper who had the game winning hit earlier in the inning but was forgotten because of the 6 run onslaught that inning. That goes a loooooog way!

I find myself tuning into the game in my car when driving. I do not remember doing that for many a year.

#5 Jul-25-12 12:22PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

me too.

I started watching last year after the all star break. they have been a solid team ever since

5 in a row-mets swept in New York

#6 Jul-25-12 12:49PM

Ernie
Administrator

I had the game on during calls.....I was nervous after last Friday and then the 1st game of the DH on Saturday. But....with Espinoza (batting 7th) smacking the ball (hitting over .400 during the last dozen games), opposing pitchers have no options but to pitch to them all. They are hot.

Can/will they keep it up?

#7 Jul-25-12 3:20PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Pacemaker wrote:

Can/will they keep it up?

We can only hope, but it's still DC. (that's as positive as I get}

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#8 Jul-25-12 5:51PM

Ernie
Administrator

Bob- you are right......my hope is that they keep their attitudes in check. I know Davey will help them do that.

#9 Jul-25-12 7:10PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

Looks like the veterans are on solid footing also. Zimmerman, Laroche, Werth (yes werth) leading the way for the youngsters.
Like Davey says, they have the talent to compete with anybody. The mental discipline will be what determines post season viability.

Easy for us to say...they live in the pressure cooker.

#10 Jul-26-12 10:55AM

mudkart
Northern Snakehead

My only niggle is having to listen to Santangelo as the video "color man", or as I call him F.P. Captain Obvious.  I mute the TV and listen to the radio broadcast.

#11 Jul-26-12 12:56PM

Ernie
Administrator

Ha! I always tell my wife that I am a step ahead of him.....

#12 Sep-09-12 2:19PM

Ernie
Administrator

Nats had a tough time with the fish. We were lucky to get one.

Next series is crucial!

I cannot believe that our team is in 1st place on 9/9/12.....let's hope they peak in October!!

#13 Sep-12-12 3:47PM

mudkart
Northern Snakehead

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/836 … g-too-soon

I felt this way before reading the article. He sums up what I've been trying to tell my father-in-law:
"Preventing Strasburg from helping you win a title this year — so that he might be more likely to help you win a title in the future — is causing certain harm to your team in the present for a theoretical benefit in the future. "

It's a long read, but worth your while if you like baseball.

Also notable is that we are required to keep pitch counts for our LL players (as young as 8), with consequences (in terms of not pitching again for a certain number of days) for going over certain pitch counts.  Back in my day, our coaches were like Dusty Baker, pitch the best guys until their arms fell off.

Last edited by mudkart (Sep-12-12 3:51PM)

#14 Sep-12-12 4:20PM

Ernie
Administrator

But our arms did not fall off, they became like rubber! As a kid I played ball 5 days a week in the summer....

#15 Sep-13-12 10:12AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

I disagree.  They are trying to protect his arm to prevent potential "end of career" injury, not just "end of season".  This is supposed to be a significantly higher risk if they keep pitching him this year.  I know they are saying "where is the proof" of the higher risk, but I would choose to believe the Drs recommendation than to take that risk.  The team is strong enough to win this without him.

#16 Sep-13-12 1:20PM

Ernie
Administrator

The Dr. that did the surgery did not recommend the action they took. They are protecting their investment but I don't blame them.

#17 Sep-13-12 2:22PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

it's up to the owner of the club

if he wants to pay him to sit down, who is to question?

if it gets to where they need another arm at the big show, be ready to watch him stand back up

#18 Oct-13-12 8:45AM

Ernie
Administrator

What a run...

I was there last night, the ebb and flow of this game was exhausting.

The game began with a boom and ended with a dud.

But....we were still talking baseball in DC on Oct. 12....incredible.

Personally, I cannot wait until next year. They will make some tweaks and be back on top again.

#19 Oct-13-12 8:46AM

Ernie
Administrator

bigjeffie wrote:

if it gets to where they need another arm at the big show, be ready to watch him (Strasberg) stand back up

A lot of people talked about this.....now, we will never know.

#20 Oct-13-12 4:55PM

basscrusher
Northern Snakehead

Here's my take on the Nats...be forewarned, I'm  a diehard Braves fan.  The Nats scare me.  They're young, talented, and have one of the best managers in the game over the past 30 years.  Thier chemistry, which tends to be undervalued in baseball, is great.  The pitching was superb this year, and there's lots of pop in that lineup.  My biggest criticism would be that they strike out too much.  if some of the free-swingers on that team get plate discipline...watch out.  I think, however, the kid gloves with which they handle Strasburg will continually haunt them.  anyone with half a brain knows you need to have a pitch count, not an innings count.  yeah, Strasburg's arm might last forever, but will they be able to count on him when needed?  I think it might be detrimental to his pitching psychology too.  For what its worth, once the Braves got hosed by the worst call in baseball history, I was rooting for the Nats and Orioles -- despite the fact that the Nats are a division rival and I loathe the Orioles owner (Peter Angelos) with every fiber of my being.

#21 Oct-13-12 5:20PM

Ernie
Administrator

basscrusher wrote:

l and I loathe the Orioles owner (Peter Angelos) with every fiber of my being.

Yep!

BTW, good summary.....

Board footer