Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-11-12 4:32AM

bassman
Northern Snakehead

Western Maryland Potomac + Citation Smallmouth

A friend and I did a 10 mile float on the Potomac in western Maryland on Sunday (Bonds Landing to Little Orleans).  Beautiful day, and the fishing was good - we got 63 in the canoe between the two of us.  Water level was low with lots of river grass, and green pumpkin and watermelon green lures (Zoom Dead Ringers or 4" lizards) with a drop shot weight were pure magic.

The real excitement hit within the first couple of miles when my friend cast into the ripples behind some big rocks and caught a 21" smallmouth on a small jighead lure. 

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/David21Bass29-12.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/David21Bass39-12.jpg

He worked hard not to lose the fish between the rocks and the river grass - as you may know, the hook on a jighead isn't very large and they are prone to bending.  The Potomac in this area is pretty shallow and not very wide - - our largest smallie prior to this was 18", so this is a real whale for these waters.  Also, in this part of Maryland anything over 20" can be registered for a citation - - we released the fish for another day, so hopefully the pictures we took will earn my friend his citation.

#2 Sep-11-12 4:38AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Western Maryland Potomac + Citation Smallmouth

What a pig....nice day of fishing!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Sep-11-12 5:37AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Heck of a fish there! Thanks for the report.

tight lines

#4 Sep-11-12 9:30AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Heck of a nice smallie..

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

Board footer