Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-13-12 5:17PM

Ernie
Administrator

Pohick, Dogue, 8-13-12

Well, if Capt. Mike can report a slow outing (rare), so can I (more often)....

I met Leon (proprietor of the Ashburn Square Barber Shop) at the shop at 0515 with anticipation of catching snakeheads.

High tide was around 5 Am so we would be fishing mainly a falling tide.

I decided to head up to the splits using the near creek to get there.....ran up most of the way before crawling up the rest of the way.

Life in the water was abundant.....

What I did find is that the far creek, which is a little shallower was chocked with weeds which made floating out a chore. May lifts of the trolling motor it took to get out of there.

We had a few bites and I even had one on (bass) for a second but we left that area with nothing to show.

We continued to hammer the shore, the pads, trees...whatever!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/001-27.jpg

Finally, as we were almost of of the creek, Leon connected!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/002-31.jpg

It was a 2+ pounder and at least the skunk was off.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/003-23.jpg

We continued to pound the grass and pads wit no success so we decided to go for a ride. Then we stopped at a couple of known fish catching areas but there was zero current (dead low tide0 and we got nothing so we hit some more pads.....same story.

Then we decided to head back and try Accotink Creek since I had never been in there. Now, the tide was coming in so we floated on in and saw lots of life. We saw bass and when we there our arsenal at 'em they simply ignored us. Leon said these were cruising bass....

So, we called it a day at 3 pm......we enjoyed the casting, got lots of exercise.

What I noticed was that the high tide (5 am) was not a very high tide at all and that we had little to no current even as we floated out. However, there was a strong incoming when we were at Accotink.

Leon now wants a snakehead even worse.....

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Aug-14-12 6:37AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Re: Pohick, Dogue, 8-13-12

Yea sometimes they can not even be force fed.. Time for a push pole Ernie..

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#3 Aug-14-12 7:16AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Interesting.  Tyler and I ran into very similar conditions and results on Saturday morning.  We fished Mattowoman from about 8am to 1pm on Sunday in the yaks.  Tyler got a nice 2lb bass on first cast and I thought/hoped we were in for a great day.  Then we got nothing for a LOOONG time.  We found a narrow cut in the pads that had a decent current running through it and saw an endless rush hour of 3-5 lb bass cruising this highway.  Couldn't get a thing to bite and it was so frustrating knowing they were right there and never getting a hit.  I moved out to where the narrow cut opened up to the main channel and cast the trusty frog along the edges.  BAM!  a 24 inch PP crushed the frog. See pic below.  Tyler got another bass down stream a bit (I will post that pic when I have a chance to upload it from the camera).  Nothing the size of what we saw cruising that narrow highway though.  And that was it.  It was a beautiful day and I love just being at Mattowoman, but it seemed like we should have been catching fish left and right.  I am guessing the tide was messing us up.  When is the best time (from a tidal perspective) for bass and PP?  We definitely had moving water most of the day.
http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff373/GregF000/120812-Mattowoman-Greg24inSnakehead.jpg

PS  Sorry to poach your topic Ernie!  It just seemed to fit with your report.

#4 Aug-14-12 7:21AM

Ernie
Administrator

captmikestarrett wrote:

Time for a push pole Ernie...

Leon and I were talking about it, he was devising plans.....

#5 Aug-14-12 7:24AM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

GregF wrote:

Tyler got a nice 2lb bass on first cast

The kiss of death

#6 Aug-14-12 7:25AM

Ernie
Administrator

GregF wrote:

PS  Sorry to poach your topic Ernie!  It just seemed to fit with your report.

Poach all you want....everyone loves pictures, I just couldn't come up with any!

As far as best times? Falling seems to be the best but who knows. The currents were weak this weekend as were the high tides (AM). We also had a meteor shower this weekend, I am sure that got them all messed up....what do I know??  tongue

#7 Aug-14-12 8:29AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Lets blame it on the meteor shower!

#8 Aug-14-12 9:35AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

The best and cheapest I found was Cabelas three piece. 18 feet and it comes with the two part expoxy at around 200 bucks.. Or go with a Stiffy at 1800.00 bucks.. or use green bamboo like I did for 4 years.

I forgot to add in my reports the amount of crabs in my livewell thrown up from Potomac Pike. And no, no new ideas on a floating crab lure that is totally weedless..unless I could..

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

Board footer