Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan-16-12 6:45AM

ComeOnFish
Northern Snakehead

Fishing Lake Anna (both cold and warm sides) - Jan 14, 2011

I hit two different places in Lake Anna, the cold side at Dike 3 (public access) and the warm side at Dike 2 (private access).

I went Lake Anna Dike 3, cold side in the morning to catch some stripers for dinner.  My plan was live-lining thread fin herring for stripers.

So I brought Sabiki rigs (size 6 and 8).  I cast and jigged a Sabiki rig from the Dike.  But I couldn’t catch 5-7 inch thread fin herring for 30 minutes. I snagged 2 tiny minnows.

There were only few people fishing today, and they told me that the fishing hasn’t been good recently due to the rapid change of the temperature.

I met a kayaker who carries everything, including Sabiki rigs and a cast net in his SUV.  We introduced ourselves. His name was TJ, and he was there to catch some stripers for dinner just like me.

TJ caught several small minnows by casting a net.  But none of minnows were big enough for stripers.

It looked that catching a striper was impossible today in the cold side of Dike 3.

I invited TJ to the warm side of Dike 2 (private access) where we can catch some WP for dinner, or at least we catch some LM.

At Dike 2, we fished for WP in the afternoon. I gave my favorite lures (for WP, LM) to TJ.

For three hours, I caught 1 WP and 4 LM.  And TJ caught 5 WP and 1 LM.  WP were at around 10 inches

Later, I got some good info about Crappie and Striper in the warm side.
Crappie are usually suspended 12’ below the surface at the bridge.  They are hitting on small minnows.  There are keeper stripers, 20 inch +. But only a few anglers fish for stripers in the warm side.  That is why there were no reports of striper fishing in the warm side.

Next time I will buy small minnows at a gas station near by.  Also I will be learning how to cast a net just in case

Here is my video fishing log:

http://www.youtube.com/v/j00EvUvFyXY

Thanks,
Joe

#2 Jan-16-12 9:58AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Fishing Lake Anna (both cold and warm sides) - Jan 14, 2011

Joe- you are one of a kind! Congrats on a nice (cold) outing!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jan-19-12 10:56AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Great videos Joe!  I'm trying to learn how to better fish dike 3 at lake anna myself.  I've been talking to a lot of the old timers there and they say that you have to stand off the point to get stripers.  But since the turbines have been turned off....there hasn't been moving water there.  Just recently did they turn them back on.  Paul

#4 Jan-19-12 9:05PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Nice job!  I am going to be in that area the 18th of Feb and am planning on fishing Lake Anna.  Let me know if for some reason you end up there then..

#5 Jan-27-12 4:53AM

ComeOnFish
Northern Snakehead

redskinsfan360 wrote:

Nice job!  I am going to be in that area the 18th of Feb and am planning on fishing Lake Anna.  Let me know if for some reason you end up there then..

I will let you know.  I and one of my friends are hitting Dike 2 Warm side tomorrow (Sat).

BTW, I and my friend are planning to hit CBBT or Kiptopeke from mid March to see if Tautog bite.  If the wind is too strong when we get there, we may go to Hot Ditch or Rudee Inlet.

Either way I will let you know

joe

#6 Jan-27-12 8:26AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

ComeOnFish wrote:

redskinsfan360 wrote:

I will let you know.  I and one of my friends are hitting Dike 2 Warm side tomorrow (Sat).

BTW, I and my friend are planning to hit CBBT or Kiptopeke from mid March to see if Tautog bite.  If the wind is too strong when we get there, we may go to Hot Ditch or Rudee Inlet.

Either way I will let you know

joe

Awesome!  Just let me know.  Id love to get on some tautog.  BTW they closed down the Chesapeake yachts launch right by the hot ditch..

Board footer