Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Dec-08-11 12:11PM

Houli
Northern Snakehead

Goose Creek - Fall/Winter Fishing

Anyone have experience fishing Goose Creek this time of year?  Is Kephart productive .... mouth .... above Rt 7 bridge?

Thanks.

Ryan

#2 Dec-09-11 10:21AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Goose Creek - Fall/Winter Fishing

I do know that some of the river rats chase smallies in late fall and winter in their sleds (boats). I have never done that so I can't tell you the how to.

Look for deep holes....

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Dec-09-11 3:24PM

basscrusher
Northern Snakehead

I've become pretty good at fishing the Goose...and it completely shuts down for me around October.  Usually can't get a bite there again until April or May.  I think most of the bass winter in the main river.

#4 Dec-09-11 6:41PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

The last time I caught a fish in the Goose was at the beginning of October.    I don't think it's worth the effort in the colder months.

Charlie says the Occoquan is good right now.  If was going to be a little bit warmer I would probably head out there tomorrow.  There and any warm water spots on the Potomac are the only places I will be bothering with for a while.

#5 Dec-12-11 5:28AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

Houli wrote:

Anyone have experience fishing Goose Creek this time of year?  Is Kephart productive .... mouth .... above Rt 7 bridge?

Thanks.

Ryan

I haven't had very much luck. Use caution above the rt. 7 bridge. Last year on new years day I went out there and after the 3rd golf ball flew past me in about 5 min I decided to call it day and head down stream and finish getting skunked.

#6 Dec-20-11 8:41AM

Houli
Northern Snakehead

Well it looks like I'm moving to Lansdowne ..... right next to Kephart Bridge Landing.  Can't wait to get started on the Creek - never fished it before.

#7 Dec-20-11 9:05AM

Ernie
Administrator

There is a lot of water to explore......especially up river.....you will like it.

#8 Dec-20-11 11:03AM

Houli
Northern Snakehead

Is that stretch of the Potomac more productive up river or down from Goose Creek?

#9 Dec-20-11 11:28AM

Ernie
Administrator

Both.....there are some flat areas but fish can be in the grass. I need to go more......

Downriver, there are some rapids that hold fish.

Across from the mouth are some good ledges.

Above the mouth has yet to be explored by me in a yak but there are good spots that I fished from a boat in the past.

#10 Dec-20-11 11:50AM

Ernie
Administrator

Ken Penrod's book, "Fishing the Upper Potomac River", has great info (2 chapters) for White's Ferry- Edward's ferry and Edward's ferry to Algonkian. Each stretch is 5 miles. The mouth of Goose Creek faces Edward's Ferry.

#11 Dec-20-11 11:54AM

Houli
Northern Snakehead

let me know if you want to head out when the weather gets nice ..... beers at my place after.  We move in April 6-8 weekend.

Thanks Ernie.

Board footer