Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Nov-22-06 12:18PM

Ernie
Administrator

11-22-06, Potomac River (DC) Report

Curly and I knew the storm was coming up this way and we knew it was cold (low 40s) and windy (10-15 kts) but we went anyway to get one more trip in before the real winter gets here. Of course, we headed into the Washington Channel where one is fairly protected from the bad wind.

We put in at the airport and we had lines in shortly after 8 AM.  At 9:30 AM, we had ZERO fish and it was beginning to stink! But a few minutes later, one of the rods goes down and I reel in a healthy 21" striper....SKUNK off!

As we were coming by the DC Harbor Pier, one of the firemen motioned us over. Oh-oh ….are we in trouble? He asked how we were doing and said that the radar showed some bad weather about an hour away. He was concerned that we may have to run downriver heading into it. Luckily that was not the case but we really appreciated the heads up!

We continued to circle an area very tightly as we were getting some good marks on the screen. At 10:15, one of the rods went down and Curly got on it but we had a tangled mess so I started to reel in some of the other rods and then I had a FISH ON one of them. So here I am with two rods in my hands. Curly got his nice 23 incher in the boat and cleared the lines and I was able to bring mine in. It was 28 inches and 10+ pounds! Wow! My biggest DC striper (non-spring)! Curly has a 29 incher to his credit. The reason we go up there so much is to get the elusive 30 incher (non-spring)! That day will come!

One hour after the fire fighter told us the storm was coming; it started to rain and the wind picked up so we took off and went to the ramp.

Safe travels to all and have a great Thanksgiving (and good luck with the storm for those on the river and creeks).

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer