Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Nov-21-06 4:05PM

Ernie
Administrator

11-21-06, Potomac River (DC) report

Curly and I put in at Gravley Point at 11:30 and headed out to the Washington Channel to see if we could resurrect the striper bite. We had lines in at 11:45 AM and within 30 minutes, we had caught two nice large mouth bass. One was 3.5 lbs. and the other 4.1 lbs., nice way to start the day but we were looking for stripers!

I must tell you about the lures 1st. We always use Rebel Spoonbill broken backs in various colors (white, chartreuse, silver blue etc). But this time, Curly had taken 4 lures and had painted them with some nice colors. One of them, which was red/purple, we called the pimp lure.

Back to fishing for stripers....this time, we concentrated on an area no bigger than a football field since there were a lot of nice marks on the fish finder.

We had a decent moving tide (10-15 kt NW winds helped) but the water quality was not as nice as we wanted. But....we did find some structure (lumps) so we had 2 of the 3 ingredients needed to catch these convict fish (they look like sideways prison garb). After a few minutes, we hooked into two very nice stripers (20" & 21") but back in the water they went as the season is now closed in DC.

We continued to prowl the area and we got a huge hit on the rod with the lightest line. Curly started to fight the fish but the line broke and Curly's newly painted lure was still in the striper’s mouth. Not a happy guy!

Then it happened, another rod goes down and I start to fight a very nice striper. As I got him close to the boat, I noticed that he had 2 lures in his mouth...mine and the one that Curly lost. What are the odds?? But the fish shook both lures and took off without being landed. Could his have been our elusive 30+ incher? We will never know but we got our lure back. We had a couple of more hookups but we were never able to land another fish.

The two bass now reside in Cedar Lake, Ashburn VA!

Great day on the water!

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer