Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-25-11 7:51PM

Rob Allen

OBX RED DRUM! August 23rd

We booked a trip to fish with Guide Bryan DeHart - on Wednesday, for Speckled Trout - he said that they have been steady all summer and expected a good trip.  Well, on Tuesday(23rd) morning he called me and tells me about a Red Drum bite that has been going on - and recommended that we consider giving it a try - but we would need to leave by 3:00pm - -and travel a bit to launch - so my son Bobby Rae and I decided we would like to give it a go -

Bryan met us at the ramp - and then we launched, and soon after launching we cast netted for additional bait - always interesting to see a good castnetter in action.

After arriving at spot one, we  warmed up by jigging up some Speckled Trout - -I had one off that broke the line - it was a good fish - but i must have horsed it - a little rusty i guess.  after about twenty minutes - and not really much more action, Bryan announces - "Let's go Red Drum Fishing!" so off to the next spot - we anchored up - and Bryan taught B Rae how he wanted the Fresh Mullet and Fresh "Fatbacks" cut up - Bobby Rae was thrilled to be the "bait guy" for the rest of the evening as Bryan set up six baited rods with a variety of baits - and now the waiting game was on - but we had to frequently check the baits - as the "Bait Stealers" (Bluefish, Pinfish, skates) are always beating up the baits - Bryan and I handled those duties.

The sunset was incredible, the wind and tide were fine, and conditions were ideal..... heard that one before, right?  well after a few hours, the Drum had not showed up - so Bryan moved us to another place - and by now it is starting to get late.  We set up the spread again after anchoring - and it was starting to get dark - we were just hanging out when I noticed the rod closest to me had way too much slack.. hmm.. what do we have here??? sure enough - fish on - and what a fish!! Bobby Rae took the rod - and began his battle - and then another rod goes off and I pick it up and start my battle - while Bryan is trying to land B Rae's fish - and the next thing you know a third rod goes off - and we just have to leave it in the holder - TRIPLE HEADER!  we ended up landing all three fish - all three were males - made the drumming sound... The boga grip was equipped with a scale - and we weighed in at 28, 30, and 35 lbs on the last fish - all released, of course.

We re-baited - but never had another bite and ended up returning to the ramp in the pitch black, with a clear sky, and unbelievable number of stars in the sky.

Hopefully Ernie can post up the pics for me -

If you ever need a guide down in OBX for Light tackle - he is a great choice -

We received word that we needed to evacuate on Thursday - so we did - and it was not a big deal - we had a real nice vacation all week.

Rob

#2 Aug-25-11 8:43PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: OBX RED DRUM! August 23rd

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/DSCF0024-1.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/DSCF0032-1.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/DSCF0034.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/DSCF0035-1.jpg

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Aug-25-11 8:44PM

Ernie
Administrator

WOW!!

And I agree about Bryan.....

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Aug-26-11 10:17AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Thats awesome!

#5 Aug-29-11 2:59PM

Aches n Pains
Northern Snakehead

Beautiful fish!  We used to fish of Rodanthe every year and catching a big Red in the surf is unlike anything I've ever done.

#6 Sep-04-11 8:29PM

Bob B
Northern Snakehead

Wow!

Go Fish!

Board footer