Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-30-06 8:14PM

Ernie
Administrator

9-29/30-06, Potomac River fishing report

Last week, Jim Rekas and I fished Friday but got blown out on Saturday. This week, Curly and I should have been blown out on Friday but since he is a die hard, we fished in miserable conditions.

We got to Shamansky's about 11:30 and put the boat on the water for a ride to the rock pile by the Wicomico Light. It was windy and rough to say the least. We fished the rocks for a few minutes but we could not hold the boat in a safe area so we took off for St.
Margaret’s Island where we could fish the sheltered side. After a few casts, I had a 16" striper on and I said, "this is going to be a good day!” Sure it was! We fished our hinnies off and did not catch another fish until 5 minutes before we left to go in for the night. That fish was a 5.5lb channel cat that Curly caught at Swan Pt.

Ask us about the ride from Cobb Island to Swan Pt., my back is still sore!

Interestingly, as the sun started to go down (and we had to go in), the wind laid down and the river got nice and calm.

On Saturday, it was a different story. We got on the river at 6:30 AM and there was no wind but it was cool (52 degrees). We put in at Chaptico and headed up o one of my favorite perch spots to see if any stripers were hanging around. They weren’t biting so we went up to the Wicomico Light for some top water action. Curly was able to put a keeper in the box but that was it. So we went back to St. Margaret’s Island and we were able to score a few more.

Then we saw some guys trolling in 5’ of water so we decided to give it a shot and we picked up our 3rd keeper for the day. That fishing slowed down so back to the light we went. After a few minutes and no action, we went back to ST. M’s to try casting again.

We managed a few more including the biggest of the day, a 24” beauty caught by Curly.

We were running out of time because I had a wedding at 5 PM and we were at least 2 hours away from home. So we went back to my favorite creek mouth where the tide was running right and Curly caught 3 more. I caught a little blue and then the fishing turned off and we had to go home.

Total for Saturday: 13 stripers and 1 blue fish!

Not a bad weekend considering the wind on Friday!

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer