Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-07-10 5:54AM

Sixspeedsam
Website

Riverbend Report

I finally got a chance to fish Riverbend after Fishsauce posted that thread a couple weeks ago. Wow. I'm glad I did!

I've been out a few times, and I'm still figuring out the water and holes that are producing. But so far, the fishing has been fantastic. I've been catching smallies in double digit numbers over the past couple weekends - much better numbers and size vs. my usual go to flow, Goose Creek.

Biggest smallie to date this year. I need a scale and tape measure! I tried laying her on my paddle for scale ...
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4124/4967048321_a804f04fa8_z.jpg

I need to invest in a waterproof camera. Pulling out my iphone to take snaps is a pain. The red splotches are reflections my red kayak.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4106/4967048955_ceb527128f_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4086/4967654988_c30dfc19ea_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4129/4967655440_f0052d7a8e_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4086/4967655936_59f54269df_z.jpg

The morning topwater bite has been consistent and solid. By early afternoon, I was throwing spinners, jerkbaits and soft plastics which all produced. There is so much water to cover and explore, I still haven't made it all the way up to Swain's lock. Hoping the fishing improves as Fall comes around.

#2 Sep-07-10 6:13AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Riverbend Report

Nice smallie! smile

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#3 Sep-07-10 10:02AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Quite the belly on that first smallie. Good stuff!

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#4 Sep-07-10 10:40AM

bill3648

Nice Fish.... I love Riverbend, peaceful and quiet....

#5 Sep-07-10 11:06AM

FishSauce

Healthy looking smallies.  The water looks crystal clear.  I recommend the Canon D10 if you're looking for a waterproof camera, I like mine a lot.

#6 Sep-07-10 11:56AM

Sixspeedsam
Website

Thanks guys. I'm enjoying Riverbend more and more every time I go out.

FishSauce - the Canon D10 is exactly the camera I have on my Christmas wish list smile I shoot with a bunch of Canon gear, but I'd never risk taking it on the river.

I'm waiting on a big order from Tackle Warehouse ... tubes, swimbaits, new Powell rod. Can't wait to test them out!

#7 Sep-07-10 12:57PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

That's one place I still need to check out.  Maybe this Saturday.

#8 Sep-09-10 9:49AM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

Sweet! Nice report. I've only hit Riverbend 2x this summer. I've yet to try it in the kayak, though. Looks like it's time...!

Cobra Explorer Kayak
Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Co-Founder
www.cbkainc.com

#9 Sep-10-10 11:27AM

Ernie
Administrator

I am penciling Oct 2 as a possible Riverbend trip for me....need to be off the water by 1pm.

Time to go fishin' again!

#10 Sep-23-10 12:07PM

Sixspeedsam
Website

Hit Riverbend again the other day. I ran into someone at the boat ramp, I believe his name was Ronnie? Anyway, he lives in Leesburg ... wondering if he's on this board. He had a small yellow kayak.

Fishing was a bit tougher this go around, but I ended up catching my biggest smallie so far this year. Measured almost 16 inches and about 2lbs.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4153/5018362666_042000fd04.jpg

Other smallies I caught ranged from 10 - 14 inches. Great fun. All the fish hit on tubes and wacky rigged senkos. It was the first time I ever used a circle hook ... good stuff.

I also managed to lose my paddle as I was portaging over some rocks. Of course, I had no idea till I turned around, only to panic and realize my paddle was about 50 yards downriver! I must have looked like an idiot splashing through the water chasing my paddle. Towards the end of the day I heard thunder ... finally decided to high tale it off the water. Storm was literally chasing me down the river - by the time I tied down my kayak, it began pouring rain. Whew.

Last edited by Sixspeedsam (Sep-23-10 12:09PM)

#11 Sep-23-10 12:17PM

Ernie
Administrator

Sixspeedsam wrote:

I also managed to lose my paddle as I was portaging over some rocks. Of course, I had no idea till I turned around, only to panic and realize my paddle was about 50 yards downriver! I must have looked like an idiot splashing through the water chasing my paddle. Towards the end of the day I heard thunder ... finally decided to high tale it off the water. Storm was literally chasing me down the river - by the time I tied down my kayak, it began pouring rain. Whew.

Been there and done that.....this would have ben fun to watch!

Time to go fishin' again!

#12 Sep-24-10 4:54AM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

Nice catching. Sounds like fun.

Been wanting to get there. Finally carved out enough time, got the honey do list under control, no family obligations, etc. I'm gonna give it a go with the kayak tomorrow morning. If anyone else will be out there I'll be in a teal colored Cobra Explorer.

Tight lines!

Cobra Explorer Kayak
Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Co-Founder
www.cbkainc.com

#13 Sep-27-10 11:31AM

RoneyK

that was me sam!  guess u had pretty good luck at riverbend.. i did too...

#14 Sep-27-10 1:10PM

Sixspeedsam
Website

RoneyK wrote:

that was me sam!  guess u had pretty good luck at riverbend.. i did too...

Hah - small world. Glad to see you're on this board smile

I didn't see you up river ... but I paddled pretty far up. Did you stick close to the ramp or head down river? I've actually never gone down river ... been wondering if I should scout it out.

#15 Sep-27-10 8:16PM

RoneyK

u saw my kayak.. i couldnt keep up with you.. i just went straight across the river into narrow channels.. i had good luck in that area.. caught 4 smallies and 2 sunfish..

#16 Sep-30-10 2:31PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

I was really hoping to fish Riverbend this weekend. But Little Falls will be up to 8ft on Saturday. sad  Definitely a no-go for the Potomac.

#17 Sep-30-10 4:54PM

Sixspeedsam
Website

Yeah I was going to check the gauges to see how high the river was going to be ... my guess was death wish if I took my kayak out. Guess I'll stick to some shore fishing smile

T. wrote:

I was really hoping to fish Riverbend this weekend. But Little Falls will be up to 8ft on Saturday. sad  Definitely a no-go for the Potomac.

Board footer