Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-04-10 2:26PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

Beaverdam 9/4 I know where they live

Got started a little later than I wanted to but I don't think I missed anything.  I was trying to catch a WP for bait when I met Khan and chatted for a bit.  Then my step-bro showed up and joined me.  We headed south but he stay in the main lake area while I headed to the SE cove.  I caught several WP in that area.  Then I head back out and caught some more WP in the center area before heading into the western branch.  I got out to stretch and made some casts in what was left of the water there.  I caught two small LMB with a few others missing just before I pulled the bitsy minnow from the water.  All the WP were caught on the bitsy minnow to. 

As I started back Steve called me and said he was done.  The wind was too much for him but he did catch two small LMB.  This was his first time at Beaverdam so it's a good thing he didn't get skunked.  I worked my way along the west side and caught some more WP and another small LMB.  Opposite of the Mt Hope launch area I tried the submerged rock wall that runs NW to SE from the western shore.  I caught several LMB here last time, but this time I only got one hit.

Then I let the 20mph winds blow me across the reservoir.  I still had one WP in tow on my heavy duty rod.  As I closed in on the spot where I caught the 3lber last week I started tossing a Rage Baby Craw (yellow-colored one, Amber Bama Craw maybe?) on a yellow jig head.  Not sure why I chose this but it seemed right.  A few casts later I know that bump wasn't rock.  Yanked the rod and started reeling like mad.  The fish was coming up alright, felt like maybe a 1.5lber.  Then BAM!  A 3lber came flying out of the water about 3ft.  And the Baby Craw came unhooked. @%E&   sad

So then I bent in the hook more sharply to avoid that happening again.  About this time the winds really picked and I got blown to the weeds while I was getting things sorted.  Once it died down I headed back out.  And again the gentle nudge of a fish, followed by frantic reeling.  This was a good one too, I knew it.  This one came flying out of the water too.  I really ought to take out my keychain cam and put it on my hat to catch this stuff.   I got this one all the way to the side of the yak but before I could grab it it got off.  Another 3lber missed. sad

Next time out I'm targeting this spot hard.  My baby craw will be on some new shaky heads I just picked up.  I don't trust that other old jig head.  I'm making sure I take a net too. 

I'm not bothering with pics of the mini fish.

#2 Sep-04-10 2:46PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Beaverdam 9/4 I know where they live

what kind of jig head?

#3 Sep-04-10 3:08PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

The one I was using was just a standard 1/4oz, at least 15 years old though.

#4 Sep-04-10 6:03PM

AnF

I love the RT baby craws. I caught a decent bass last Sunday morning out at BDR on one. I use "Bite Me" 3/0 60 degrees shakey jig heads with the RT baby craw and baby brush hogs. I super glue the tail to the jig head so they last longer.

Well, at least now you know where they are.

#5 Sep-04-10 6:35PM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

T,

It was a pleasure meeting you today. That wind sure did pick up out of no where and was blowing me all over the place. There were white caps all over the place. I decided to leave when those waves began overworking my trolling motor.

I might head out there again tomorrow to do a little white perch fishing.

Board footer