Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-19-06 9:41PM

Ernie
Administrator

8-19-06, Mattawoman Creek report

I took advantage of a "special" that Capt. Mike Starrett of Indian Head Charters had offered to fly fishermen. The objective was to target largemouth bass in the Mattawoman Creek (flows into the Potomac River).

Capt. Mike told us to be at Slavin's ramp at 3 PM and that we would fish until 9:30 PM. Mike is my kind of charter Captain because when Sawyer and I got there, he was sitting on a picnic table with a cooler full of cold drinks and a rack of ribs along with a whole BBQed chicken. That's how the trip starts! How good is that!

We ate and talked for a bit and we put his jet boat in the water and headed upstream.

I will have to say that the fishing was tough...real tough. I caught the 1st fish, a blue gill but at least that took the skunk off the boat.

We continued upstream but the bass just would not bite. They hardly even paid attention to us. Finally, as the sun was starting to set, I got into a bass on a top water popper (remember, we were fly fishing). I landed the little bass and Mike would not even take a picture. He said, "throw that little bass back, quick!"

Night fell on us and it was very weird casting a fly at the elephant lily pads and not being able to see your lure. I actually did fairly well, surprisingly.

We were worried that Sawyer had not yet caught a bass when something exploded on his popper...a 3+ lb largemouth was on the hook and in the boat!

We managed a lot of hits but no more hookups but we had a great time fishing, especially when it was dark.

It was a great experience and I highly recommend Capt. Mike, he is relaxed and down to earth. Class opperation! You can reach him at http://www.indianheadcharters.com/ or 301-203-0961.

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer