Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Oct-27-09 12:01PM

Ernie
Administrator

To report a Wildlife Crime: 1-800-237-5712

That's the number for the VA Game & Wildlife Department in case you see someone doing something wrong.

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Oct-27-09 12:42PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: To report a Wildlife Crime: 1-800-237-5712

I called them one time to ask if cast netting in a lake in Fairfax was illegal  because I was watching some guys using a cast net to take all sorts of fish. The lady who answered couldn't answer me. She told me that the hotline was for reporting wildlife crimes. I couldn't understand how they are supposed to take reports of violations if they don't even know what the violations are...

#3 Oct-27-09 4:51PM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

Thanks for pinning this Ernie.

Dan, Ernie put this up after a call from me about 2 guys throwing a cast net at Beaverdam Creek. It's a shame they couldn't answer your question or refer you to someone that could. This is right from the DGIF Website under Freshwater Fishing Regulations:

Method of fishing. Taking any fish at any Department-owned or controlled lake, pond, or stream by any means other than by use of one or more attended poles with hook and line attached is prohibited unless otherwise posted, in which case cast nets may be used for collecting nongame fish for use as bait.

#4 Oct-27-09 5:45PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

See, I was out at a lake and didn't have the regulation handbook, so I called to report it just in case, assuming that they would be able to tell me whether it was legal or not....and she gave me this attitude like I was the one who should know and then come back...I should have just told her, "ok, then yeah, it's a violation and I'm reporting it" considering she wouldn't have known either way...

Thanks Paul, now I know and in the future I'll be able to do that part of the VDGIF's job for them.

#5 Dec-14-09 6:33AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

The operators don't know much of anything, they just dispatch the officers.

I had a friend call about duck hunting on the Potomac, after the operator read the regs she was offended that black duck have there own season. She took it personally. (True Story)

Last edited by jumping jasper (Dec-14-09 6:34AM)

smile

Board footer