Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Nov-28-09 12:07PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

ashburn sat

well i hit the rip rap again

i put some 30#  braid on my 9' spinning rod, intent on dragging crankbaits over the rocks

the reasoning is that the long rod helps me get parallel to the shore, and keeping the bait digging through the strike zone of 18 to 36". I didnt think the braid would hurt in the murky water, and I wanted some muscle for a pig

i had a rapala dt6 on, orange crayfish

this thing just hammers the rocks

i had a good fish, maybe 2#, flash and boil at my feet, but miss the bait.

so i dragged the whole length, then turned around and worked all the way back, stopping every few feet and throwing multiple casts on both directions.

I got all the way  back, almost to the bench, when a big thump doubled my rod.

with the heavy line, i had the drag screwed down tight. big headshakes and deep lunges had me thinking monster cat.

in time I brought a big bass to the shore.

my scale is MIA again, but i did put a tape on it. about 21.5" with a very stout figure
ernie's fish calculator puts it comfortably in the 5# class

so i snapped a photo and let it go
note to self: remember to hit save button-
no picture, but what else is new, right?

I got an emergency call from home that two of the cats had gotten out ( the women in my house are easily alarmed ) so I had to go home and conduct a search

the cats were located unharmed

#2 Nov-28-09 12:20PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: ashburn sat

Glad the cats are OK at home and that the big hit was not a cat! Nice job!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Nov-28-09 5:55PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: ashburn sat

it was gratifying to have a hunch pay off, although i was close to changing tactics when the luck finally hit.

i toyed w/ some other ideas, but the homefront beckoned shortly thereafter, and you have to call it a great day when you get a hefty one like that.

i think there are some very big fish in that area right now, moving out of the deep water to crash bait on the rocks, then pulling back into a comfort zone to fin and digest

Board footer