Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-20-23 4:04PM

Ernie
Administrator

Have you ever caught a bowfin?

Yes, the bowfin! According to Wikipidia, "the bowfin  (Amia calva) is a bony fish, native to North America. Common names include mudfish, mud pike, dogfish, grindle, grinnel, swamp trout, and choupique."

why do people call it a trash fish?

I clearly remember my 1st bowfin. I was bass fishing with a good friend on the North River in NC. I threw something at the base of a cypress tree and what happened next was explosive, the fight was that on steroids! What power! One of the most intense fights I've ever experienced.

But...I will never know how big that fish was because as I got it close to the boat, my friend cut the line before I could net him. He was disgusted! Well, so was I...at him!

Fast forward to fishing with Capts. Mike and Dave on the Piankatank River. They were were giving us glowing reports about catching these fish in the swamp. I got existed. I wanted to land my 1st one. I and I did...many of them

Personally, if I could target these in our area, that's all I would do. Their bite i ferocious. They will destroy a spinner bait on a bite!The may a smallie look weak!

Why do they get a bad rap?

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Jun-23-23 3:37PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Re: Have you ever caught a bowfin?

They were in MD at some point in time (50's). Boat ramps used to have pics of them and hellbenders. Save the hellbenders and destroy the grinnel. Never saw or caught one till fishing with Mike and Dave in the Dragon.

Ernie wrote:

Yes, the bowfin! According to Wikipidia, "the bowfin  (Amia calva) is a bony fish, native to North America. Common names include mudfish, mud pike, dogfish, grindle, grinnel, swamp trout, and choupique."

why do people call it a trash fish?

I clearly remember my 1st bowfin. I was bass fishing with a good friend on the North River in NC. I threw something at the base of a cypress tree and what happened next was explosive, the fight was that on steroids! What power! One of the most intense fights I've ever experienced.

But...I will never know how big that fish was because as i got it close to the boat, my friend cut the line before I could net him. He was disgusted! Well, so was I!

Fast forward to fishing with Capts. mike and Dave on the Piankatank River. They were were giving us glowing reports about catching these fish in the swamp. I got existed. I wanted to land my 1st one. I and I did...many of them

Personally, if I could target these in our area, that's all I would do. Their bite i ferocious. They will destroy a spinner bait on a bite!The may a smallie look weak!

Why do they get a bad rap?

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#3 Jun-23-23 4:26PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

I have not caught one.  If they are more vicious than a snakehead, then that is something.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#4 Jun-23-23 5:23PM

Ernie
Administrator

The snakehead take is not vicious. But the fight is.

The bowfin’s strike is violent. As is the fight.

They absolutely destroy spinnerbaits. Literally!

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 Jun-25-23 2:59PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Bowfin rock.  I would never give them a bad rap.

You want a bowfin bit from a smallie?  Head north

Never knew they had a bad rap ... if for anything is I understand they're bony and not edible and that could be why?

#6 Jun-26-23 6:05AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

They're a neat fish. Kind of like a native version of a snakehead. Definitely tackle destroyers.

tight lines

Board footer