Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Dec-12-21 8:50AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Temps for Pickerel fishing

I figured I would check with some of you guys who target them.  What colder water temps do they stay active?  Never really targeted them before, but plan to fish a place that I have caught some in the past.

Last edited by drxfish (Dec-12-21 8:50AM)

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#2 Dec-12-21 8:52AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Temps for Pickerel fishing

I caught pickles in the dead of summer and in the middle of winter but I'm not even close to being an expert

Around here, if you got a place, hit it

#3 Dec-12-21 9:32AM

Ernie
Administrator

I would say that around 50df is good...40df probably not as good.

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Dec-12-21 12:25PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

I doubt anyone would own up to being a pickerel expert since pickles are so disliked.  I've always found welcome stragglers during late summer into early fall Serious pickerel fishing starts when the leaves start to drop. The first frost is like a pickerel switch, and after that your chances really improve. They'll continue to bite through the winter if ice doesn't stop you from getting to them. During the coldest time you'll do better with a live bull minnow under a bobber or casted trailing a shad dart. In MD the season closes on March 16 through April to protect them during spawning time.

Sometimes they will attack from the side, but mostly from behind. They are habitual followers. You'll often see them come right to the boat and just sit there. When this happens that favorite musky figure eight will often entice a strike. Pickerel are good fighters, and don't hesitate to leap clear out of the water.

They aren't a very hearty fish, so minimize handling and get them back in the water quickly. They often inhale your lure and get it tangled in their gills. A lot of times it's easier to reach the hook from behind the gill plate, pull it out and cut your leader.

Pickerel are one of my favorites to catch, I'm going to try for some tomorrow.  Good luck to you when you go.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#5 Dec-12-21 1:07PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Throw my safety spin spinners I gave you - drives pickles nuts

#6 Dec-12-21 2:45PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Good info and tips, guys!  I may get out Tuesday.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#7 Dec-13-21 7:03PM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

I used to go for they on Black Friday and the morning after Christmas. Looking forward to that report!

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Board footer