Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-03-19 12:40PM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Mattawoman 8/3/19

It's been a few weeks since I took my dad fishing, so with temperatures to stay under 90 and cloud cover, today was the day. We go to the dock at 6:15, 2 trailers in the lot, and all the lower spots taken by pick ups, presumably kayakers. Water temps were 83, and it was a gorgeous morning. I love when the water is calm and has the fog puffing over it.

https://i.imgur.com/wcgCPIRl.jpg

High tide was at 10AM, so I figured I go back and check the creek before the Beach, since last time it was occupied by 2 boats. I wanted to cover water quick so I tied on a Keitech Noisy Flapper and got a LMB on the third cast.

https://i.imgur.com/r8X87pLl.jpg

It wasn't the first cast, so I thought this was a good omen, but I had one more blow up and that was it up this creek. Water was really rushing in around 8AM with a super high tide, the pads across from the Beach were actually flooded and had plenty of water to work with to get back there. Quite a big difference compared to last week where there was only 2-3" of water at high tide there. I trimmed up the TM and was able to motor the whole way back there. We were throwing frogs and toads between the grass edge and the opening to the sparse pads. We made it way back where behind the grass was a little creek and I threw a frog, and got a nice blow up, but when I reeled down...I felt nothing. That was it for the pads and there were plenty of boaters and kayakers around us now. I decide to hit the false creek with the super high tide, knowing I could get way back there. This move pays off and I score a 7.5lb snakehead on a popper. He choked it and went straight down into the coon tail grass. I was using my ML popping rod with 12lb mono, but I was able to haul it out.

https://i.imgur.com/iRWdZ8Rl.jpg

My dad had a blow up but didn't connect, and we both lost some lures to the overhanging trees. Tide was rushing out at 11:30AM, and I go back to three river junction, this time I noticed 4-5 good size LMB, I'd guess 3LB'ers just swimming through the channels in the coon tail grass. I wish I had a senko to throw at them. I bomb casted the popper into the open too, guessing other fishies were using the coon tail openings as highways. No bites, but I'm guessing it was because of the big yellow egg in the sky.

Had to be home by 2PM, so we called it at Noon. Unfortunately, my dad didn't hook up.

Last edited by Junger (Aug-03-19 12:41PM)

#2 Aug-03-19 1:08PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Mattawoman 8/3/19

Nice Snakie!!!!

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#3 Aug-03-19 1:54PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

That's a decent morning trip.  Congrats!

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#4 Aug-03-19 2:16PM

Ernie
Administrator

Sweet pics!

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 Aug-04-19 4:39AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Good job

Some huge cats in that water

During the heat of the day, we'd find a big tree next to a deep hole and drown chx'n livers

#6 Aug-04-19 10:17AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Nice snake! I gotta go catch one, it's been a couple years.

tight lines

Board footer