Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Mar-10-19 4:45PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Upper Potomac 3/10/19

Conditions were not ideal, but with a big bump coming the next couple days, I decided to go for it.  I got on the river about 9:30am.  The ramp was in good shape and the water was a bit below 6 foot at POR.  I threw small jigs with plastic (Erie darter or small chunk), tube and a finesse ned rig with a TRD.  Worked current breaks (log jams) and it took a while to get a bite.  The water was just below 38 degrees to start and color was clear green.  I finally hooked a decent smallie on the TRD.  I thought I had it hooked good and went to grab the net, but by the time I grabbed it, the fish came off.  I caught a small one after that in the same spot.
https://i.imgur.com/iKkL9uK.jpg
I did not get another bite and decided to run up river.  I ran up to the tip of an island and floated the whole thing, dragging the anchor to work fishy looking spots.  I did not get a bite, but enjoyed the warming weather.  The water was more stained up there and was just under 39 degrees. 

I finally decided to run back toward the ramp and hit a couple spots before taking out.  The water was clearer there, but still 39 degreed.  I lucked into one more small fish before pulling out.
https://i.imgur.com/NV3Pkh1.jpg
I was off the water by 6:30pm.  Air temps went from 40's to 60's and the wind was manageable.  Need to get water temps over 40, but the level is going up at least 5 feet by Tuesday.  Glad I got out.

Last edited by drxfish (Mar-10-19 4:45PM)

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#2 Mar-10-19 4:55PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Upper Potomac 3/10/19

Glad you got a few....

I drove the grand kids down to the Shenandoah (under Rt. 7) and it looked so good albeit a little fast. We had temps in the 60's and then we drove up to Mt. Weather and it was 48 at the top.

BTW, Bear Chase Brewery is very good. Packed on weekends but barely anyone there when we stopped in last Monday.

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer