Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-05-18 7:49PM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Mattawoman 7/5/18

So today is my dad's birthday, so I asked him what he wanted for his birthday and of course...he wanted to go fishing for snakeheads. So we headed down to Slavins at 2PM, and we were off by 3:30PM...drain plug sealed tight.
It was hot, my car gauge said 96, but the sun was peeping in and out behind clouds. I headed for the pads thinking they'd be deep in there if there was water. The tide was moving out fast by 4PM, so I push poled back there to the spots Capt. Mike took me and my bud last Saturday. First cast, I got a decent 2lber on the keitech flapper.

https://i.imgur.com/o1jNx5H.jpg

Then after that I pushed us around the pond for a bit, no signs of activity, no bites. No wind, and plenty of sun. I don't know how Mike and Dave do it all summer, but after about 60 minutes of that I had enough and pushed us back into the channel. Low tide was at 7:30PM, so we hit all the good grass with poppers and frogs.

The bite turned on at about 7PM, and I got a 20" LMB. She looked HUGE, but I don't think she weighed more than 3-4lbs, she was really thin and my scale was out of batteries.
https://i.imgur.com/W0FS0WA.jpg

Then about 10 yards away, I got slammed on the Spro popping frog again, another chunky 4lber this time, I didn't get a pic because she choked the frog and both hooks were deep down and it took me a while to get them out. I just wanted to get her back in ASAP, she swam off just fine. I hooked up with another one, but it came off about 5ft from the boat.

We headed in around 7:45PM, just as golden hour was going to turn on, my dad was getting tired and he was hungry.

#2 Jul-05-18 8:00PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Mattawoman 7/5/18

You're a good son!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jul-05-18 8:40PM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Ernie wrote:

You're a good son!

Not good enough today to put him on fish. He had one massive hit on a popper, but he didn't hook up. He also bought his first baitcaster and was using a hollow body frog on that all day. Wasn't casting it that far because he had the brakes and tension set high, but he's getting the hang of it. I showed him he just need to thumb it more with looser settings to eventually get the distance. Practice, practice practice.

#4 Jul-06-18 4:49AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Ha push polling is not an easy task. That is why when I pick up the pole, I say "Time to earn my money" .. You need to use your entire body to move the boat around. Think about your path and plan to zig and zag now and then. And never push over pickle grass. I am glad your dad is learning the educated thumb method of fishing.

Good report
Thanks
Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#5 Jul-06-18 10:48AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Good job

Enjoy those days - I remember the last time I fished w/ Dad.  He's still around but has long gave up fishing

Board footer