It is the devil...

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#6 Jan-29-18 4:46PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Re: Facebook

On a more specific note if a person applies to a job the security company most companies use will glean the facebook page and all social media to see if the applicant is suitable.
If you ever post anything that will be deemed not proper then no interview will follow.

It is like permanent ink when you post on facebook.

Capt Mike

Last edited by captmikestarrett (Jan-29-18 4:47PM)

#7 Jan-30-18 6:34AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

I'm not on.

It seems like fishing discussion is trending in that direction though. Message board traffic is way down everywhere, but I hear people talking about Facebook groups a lot. I prefer this format but I think eventually I'm gonna bite the bullet and join.

tight lines

#8 Jan-30-18 6:48AM

Ernie
Administrator

Bryan wrote:

It seems like fishing discussion is trending in that direction though. Message board traffic is way down everywhere, but I hear people talking about Facebook groups a lot. I prefer this format but I think eventually I'm gonna bite the bullet and join.

Exactly but....if we have a cozy forum that works, why join the "devil" as Mike stated above? This is what I am wrestling with. I've already created a Pacemakerfishing page on FB but have not put it in play. They have already threatened to close it out since I've done nothing with it.

My personal issues w/ FB and Instagram is that there is no story (usually), just pictures and some comments. I like pictures with stories. I also like to hear some techniques used to catch that big one. What did one do to get the result? I also like capturing something different when it presents itself.

Just showing me a picture of a big fish is nice but I want more.

Time to go fishin' again!

#9 Jan-30-18 6:48AM

Ernie
Administrator

captmikestarrett wrote:

It is like permanent ink when you post on facebook.

Yep...

#10 Jan-30-18 8:56AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

I have FB, and use it mostly for catching up and seeing what's going on with extended family.  I've joined some of the fishing FB pages, and most of them are filled with trolls and advertising spam posts.

I also prefer this format for real discussions.

#11 Jan-30-18 10:31AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

Bryan wrote:

Exactly but....if we have a cozy forum that works, why join the "devil" as Mike stated above? This is what I am wrestling with. I've already created a Pacemakerfishing page on FB but have not put it in play. They have already threatened to close it out since I've done nothing with it.

My personal issues w/ FB and Instagram is that there is no story (usually), just pictures and some comments. I like pictures with stories. I also like to hear some techniques used to catch that big one. What did one do to get the result? I also like capturing something different when it presents itself.

Just showing me a picture of a big fish is nice but I want more.

Yep, just pictures, sometimes with captions. Boring. Reports are so much better in story form.

It seems like most of the world disagrees with us though. Now it's all about taking a pic and getting it online as quickly as possible.

Last edited by Bryan (Jan-30-18 10:32AM)

tight lines

#12 Jan-30-18 11:06AM

Ernie
Administrator

Bryan wrote:

It seems like most of the world disagrees with us though. Now it's all about taking a pic and getting it online as quickly as possible.

I think that the quick and easy way to post a picture is what makes it so. No hassle, just take the shot and post it, right then and there. And oh, make sure your arm is extended as far as possible!

We'll keep this going as long as folks post up stories and pictures. Many have moved away from doing that.

I know spot burning is an issue...sometimes. But I'm not sure that's always the case. Sure, poachers can be attracted but they will get their take as long as they don't get caught. Just look at the shorelines by Chain Bridge in the spring.

#13 Jan-30-18 12:57PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

I used to post fish stories, but now I mostly fish with THE master story teller. His reports make me look way better than I ever did for myself. I'm not sure I can wait till it's warm enough for his stories to start to flow, so I might have to come up with 1 or 2.

As for Facebook, I've been there for a long time. Mostly I play games and follow a few fishing groups with a few posts. Not worried about headhunter seeing what I have to say, my next job will be holding down a pine box. I'm not in a hurry to get that job, I much prefer being mentioned in THE story teller's stories.

GOOD GRIEF..... C'mon Spring!

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#14 Jan-30-18 4:50PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

On a side note I showed this website to 4 males and 4 females. All the males said "awesome" and all the females said "awful"

https://www.gloryboats.com/

Like facebook it may be divided the same way.

Capt Mike

#15 Jan-30-18 7:50PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Beats the hell out of a jive @$$ pine box

captmikestarrett wrote:

On a side note I showed this website to 4 males and 4 females. All the males said "awesome" and all the females said "awful"

https://www.gloryboats.com/

Like facebook it may be divided the same way.

Capt Mike

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#16 Jan-31-18 1:22AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

I'm not on Facebook.

#17 Jan-31-18 4:55AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

I do not have a Facebook or any social media account for that matter. I think I'm the only youngin' that doesn't have one lol I think on FB in general people do tend to just post pictures, but it isn't limited to that. If the same people here were to join Ernie's FB group, I'm sure they will still be writing up full reports. But I guess it could quickly become just a photo slide show since that is more convenient. I will say though, if this forum is abandoned for a FB group, I will sorely miss being a part of this amazing community.

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#18 Jan-31-18 5:07AM

Aches n Pains
Northern Snakehead

I do use FB, Ernie.  On the other hand, when I find something that resonates on Pacemaker I book mark it so I can fins it again later.  That doesn't work with FB.  No individual post can be referenced by a unique URL.  Posts are not categorized in any way and disappear down the feed very fast (particularly with likes, comments, etc.)

#19 Jan-31-18 5:35AM

Ernie
Administrator

Great comments JC and Doug (and others).

What is becoming clear is this forum is a reference. And a safe place (no ads etc).

FB is a great way to quickly put out your picture(s) or thought but it will get buried. Very little context. Not so much if it was a separate page but the same nonetheless. Here, we have a limited audience "friends" as well as some unidentified onlookers. While I am on FB, I follow some fishing guides (especially those in other areas), my family and a few close friends. The rest of my "friends" are unfollowed. I just can't take someone telling me every move they are making. Or ranting about whatever.

Instagram is just a quick shot and move on. I like that to see pics of my grandson now and then.

I have no plans to shut this down but I do get nervous about the Forum. It's an old platform....and I have no clue how to fix or change it without losing what is in it.

#20 Jan-31-18 6:07AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

captmikestarrett wrote:

if a person applies to a job the security company most companies use will glean the facebook page and all social media to see if the applicant is suitable.

I'm now on FB.  I just went through the process and was told by the interviewer that I'm the most boring person alive.  They asked me "is that all you do is fish?"  I said no, I cook and like vintage automobiles.  They said "yes, we know"

#21 Jan-31-18 7:45AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

hookup wrote:

I said no, I cook and like vintage automobiles.  They said "yes, we know"

After today I have to add Johnny Cash & Roy Clark to that list

#22 Jan-31-18 9:50AM

dave
Northern Snakehead

Not

#23 Feb-01-18 4:46AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

I don't have a real facebook account.  It's for people who are self centered.  I have a fake account I use for a game I play, but I don't post or anything.  I will admit that it's much easier to share photos and videos and you can write stories to that, so it's overall easier to use than a forum as this one.  One thing I always hated about social media sites is that it tracks usage and interests, so you get all the pop ups for stuff you were looking at (in my case it was always kayaks, fishing gear, and beer). lol

#24 Feb-01-18 5:01AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

hookup wrote:

captmikestarrett wrote:

if a person applies to a job the security company most companies use will glean the facebook page and all social media to see if the applicant is suitable.

I'm now on FB.  I just went through the process and was told by the interviewer that I'm the most boring person alive.  They asked me "is that all you do is fish?"  I said no, I cook and like vintage automobiles.  They said "yes, we know"

LOL lol

#25 Feb-01-18 5:05AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

backtofuturetoyota wrote:

I don't have a real facebook account.  It's for people who are self centered.  I have a fake account I use for a game I play, but I don't post or anything.  I will admit that it's much easier to share photos and videos and you can write stories to that, so it's overall easier to use than a forum as this one.  One thing I always hated about social media sites is that it tracks usage and interests, so you get all the pop ups for stuff you were looking at (in my case it was always kayaks, fishing gear, and beer). lol

It's not just social media that tracks you, it's pretty much ALL of the Internet. It happens to me and I do not have any social media. Some sites are "nice" to give you a little message when you first enter saying something like "Hey we use cookies". Other sites try to be transparent but they are just putting up a mask saying "Hey we use cookies to make your experience better so do not use ad block" lol.

Board footer