Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Dec-29-16 6:20PM

Ernie
Administrator

Kayaker perishes

VIRGINIA BEACH

An off-duty Virginia Beach-based Navy SEAL died after his kayak overturned in frigid Chesapeake Bay waters about 2 miles west of Cape Charles near Cherrystone Inlet, the Navy said Thursday.

The Coast Guard recovered Petty Officer 1st Class Devon Grube on Wednesday and took him to Riverside Shore Memorial Hospital in Nassawadox on the Eastern Shore, where he died from his injuries, the Navy said.

Lt. Trevor Davids, a Navy Special Warfare Center spokesman, said Grube’s death “appears to be from environmental exposure.” Water temperatures in the area were about 46 degrees, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

“Our deepest condolences go out the sailor’s family as we work to ensure that they have the support they need in this difficult time,” Davids said in a statement. “We thank the Coast Guard Sector Hampton Roads Command Center, Virginia Marine Police, and the Virginia Marine Resources Commission for their assistance.”

The Navy didn’t release Grube’s age or hometown, but a 2008 Associated Press story that appeared in the Bismarck Tribune reported he’s from Cavalier, N.D., near the Canadian border. That story said he was 27 at the time and became a SEAL with one of his best friends from childhood, Tony Clark, who lived four doors down.

“I figured that if I was going to serve my country, I wanted to do it at one of the highest levels possible,” Grube said in the story. “It seemed like a good challenge.”

He joined the Navy in 2005 after graduating from the University of North Dakota. He had been awarded a Joint Service Commendation Medal, Army Commendation Medal, and two Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medals, among others.

“Looking back, you can see this career is a good fit,” Grube’s mother, Kaye Furstenau, said in 2008. “Devon always lived on the edge. When he was 2 years old, he jumped into the water off the high board. He and Tony always looked for exciting things to do.”

The Coast Guard said Wednesday that watchstanders were notified at 9:20 a.m. that a man had overturned his kayak.

Watch-standers issued an urgent marine information broadcast, a 45-foot rescue boat from Coast Guard Station Cape Charles launched at 9:22 a.m., and an MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter from Air Station Elizabeth City took off at 9:42 a.m.

The boat crew reached the scene at 9:45 a.m., and the helicopter crew at 10:45 a.m. The helicopter crew located Grube at about 11 a.m. and directed the boat crew to him to pull him out of the water, according to the Coast Guard.

Grube was brought ashore and transferred to Northampton County Emergency Medical Services personnel at about 11:20 a.m., the Coast Guard said.

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Dec-30-16 7:20AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Re: Kayaker perishes

Ernie, you always talk about taking cold water seriously.  Every time we are out in the winter, you make it mandatory to wear a life preserver at all times.  I always complied but never fully appreciated how quickly things could go wrong and how incapacitating cold water can be.  I am so sad that America lost one of its best (Seals).  But I will tell you his death has already made a difference for me.  I GET IT!  If this can happen to a Seal that fast, then anyone else would be in real trouble immediately. Thank you Ernie for caring enough to make it mandatory for everyone (even those of us too ignorant to really understand).

Last edited by GregF (Dec-30-16 7:21AM)

#3 Dec-30-16 7:42AM

Ernie
Administrator

Here is another one, this time just north of us....

Coroner: Veteran kayaker pulled from Susquehanna River died of hypothermia

The veteran kayaker whose body was pulled from the Susquehanna River Thursday has been identified.

Charles (Chuck) Moore, 66, of the 500 block of East Strawberry Street Lancaster, died of hypothermia, Lancaster County Coroner Dr. Stephen Diamantoni said after an autopsy Friday.

“It appears he fell out of his kayak,” the coroner said. “The temperature of the water was 34 degrees. It was too cold for him to make it to the shore. You can’t live very long in water like that.”

The veteran kayaker whose body was pulled from the Susquehanna River Thursday has been identified.

Charles (Chuck) Moore, 66, of the 500 block of East Strawberry Street Lancaster, died of hypothermia, Lancaster County Coroner Dr. Stephen Diamantoni said after an autopsy Friday.

“It appears he fell out of his kayak,” the coroner said. “The temperature of the water was 34 degrees. It was too cold for him to make it to the shore. You can’t live very long in water like that.”

Moore had been missing for two days before he was pulled from the Susquehanna River in Martic Township Thursday.

Southern Regional police Officer Jesse Blank said Moore was last seen around noon on Tuesday when he said he was going kayaking.

No one witnessed the accident, but Diamantoni said he believes Moore went into the water soon after launching his kayak. He was wearing a flotation device.

A search of the river was started around 12:30 p.m. Thursday after Moore’s car was found parked at Safe Harbor Park in the 5200 block of River Road. A short time later, Moore’s red kayak was discovered about eight miles downstream at Holtwood Dam.

Moore’s body was found floating in the water, about four miles south of the Safe Harbor Dam, Blank said. Diamantoni said that was around 4:30 p.m.

Blank said Moore was an avid kayaker with more than 20 years of experience. Diamantoni said he was also a well-known photographer.

State police, along with officials from the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission, are also investigating.

#4 Dec-31-16 3:05PM

Ernie
Administrator

But as a friend of mine said, "all a life jacket does in freezing water is make it easier to find your body."

#5 Jan-01-17 8:16AM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

jeez ernie.

i guess going it alone isn't particularly wise.
some guys are made that way tho.

#6 Jan-01-17 11:04AM

Ernie
Administrator

When s*** happens in cold water, it happens fast. The guys that experienced the boat braking apart in the Potomac  didn't hardly have the time to make a May Day call and did not send up flares. This still haunts me as I knew 2 of the deceased and the survivor.

Kayaking without a dry suit is a disaster waiting to happen.

I hope we all learn from this.

Sad......

#7 Jan-01-17 6:23PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

i agree.e
sad.
but some guys are made that way.

on another note;
i wrote a great piece that got hung up. i couldn't get it posted.
now it's gone forever.

Windows are finite.
i drive over that stretch of the Susquehanna almost daily.
I'm sorry we lost that guy.
but he did his own thing for whatever reason.

perhaps I will do more writing and picture taking this year,

i appreciate Ernie letting me publish here

Last edited by bigjeffie (Jan-01-17 7:00PM)

#8 Jan-01-17 6:58PM

Ernie
Administrator

bigjeffie wrote:

perhaps I will do more writing and picture taking this year,

i appreciate Ernie letting me publish here

I hope you do more of it as well, it is always welcomed and appreciated!

#9 Jan-04-17 9:18AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

I still need to learn to wear a life vest.  Yeah, I know

Sad to hear stories like this.

Board footer