Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-08-16 9:46AM

12thMan

Rod and Reel Repair

I have had a recent spell of bad luck and have several broken rods and reels. I am looking for advice on good repair shops and a ballpark on potential price. I have heard the rod and reel repair in Arlington is good but I would like to hear from someone first hand.

For reference here is what I need repaired:

-Shimano Sellus Spinnerbait Casting Rod (Broke off just the tip but still have it)

-Quantum Energy E100 Casting Reel (Needs a clean and lube also missing a few internal springs)

-Abu Garcia Silver Max Casting Reel (Handle is bent blocking the drag knob from turning)

-Lew's Speed Spin Spinning Reel (Bent center pin, going to email Lew's on this one since its new but who knows)

I also have a Gander Mountain rod that broke off right at the third guide so the tip and one guide were lost. Probably shouldn't fish it since it has no tip and lost a lot of flexibility. Any ideas on something cool I can do with this?

Thanks!

The Tug is the Drug

#2 Sep-08-16 5:33PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Re: Rod and Reel Repair

Phil at rod and reel is the man and he can handle all of that. The abu should be as easy as removing the handle and either bending it back (fine for bass fishing) or replacing it (striper fishing or expecting a harder fight). I've had guides replaced, tips fixed, reels repaired, and various other stuff. Also, if you're a fan of vintage stuff he has an excellent supply of new old stock Penn parts.

#3 Sep-08-16 5:42PM

Ernie
Administrator

Just had 6 reels serviced by Phil. I told him that one of my baitcasters was acting funny and he said nothing was wrong. I told him to look again and he then said the same thing the next time I came by. He cast it and said it was smooth as can be. Turns out I took the wrong reel to him. He didn't charge me a dime for that lesson.

He is good and has serviced my reels for 30+ years.....

Normally, he charges $15 for labor to clean, inspect and service the reel. Plus parts. If it's a major overhaul, then it's a bit more.

You cannot beat his prices or service. He is closed on Sunday and Monday. Shorter hours on Saturday. 11-5 on other days. Feel free to mail them to him with an explanation.

The broken GM rod can be used for jigging....

The Shimano can get a new tip minus what you broke. Should be close to what it was. Might need to use it for something else.

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Sep-09-16 8:13AM

12thMan

Redfish12 wrote:

Phil at rod and reel is the man and he can handle all of that. The abu should be as easy as removing the handle and either bending it back (fine for bass fishing) or replacing it (striper fishing or expecting a harder fight). I've had guides replaced, tips fixed, reels repaired, and various other stuff. Also, if you're a fan of vintage stuff he has an excellent supply of new old stock Penn parts.

Thanks for the feedback. I already took off the handle and tried to bend it back with no luck. Somehow I was strong enough to bend it accidentally but can't bend it back now hahaha

Ernie wrote:

Just had 6 reels serviced by Phil. I told him that one of my baitcasters was acting funny and he said nothing was wrong. I told him to look again and he then said the same thing the next time I came by. He cast it and said it was smooth as can be. Turns out I took the wrong reel to him. He didn't charge me a dime for that lesson.

He is good and has serviced my reels for 30+ years.....

Normally, he charges $15 for labor to clean, inspect and service the reel. Plus parts. If it's a major overhaul, then it's a bit more.

You cannot beat his prices or service. He is closed on Sunday and Monday. Shorter hours on Saturday. 11-5 on other days. Feel free to mail them to him with an explanation.

The broken GM rod can be used for jigging....

The Shimano can get a new tip minus what you broke. Should be close to what it was. Might need to use it for something else.

Thanks for the intel on his hours, I would probably have showed up when he is closed otherwise. I assume you mean vertical jigging, which I could probably do from my kayak but I am usually shore fishing. Shimano didn't lose any length only the tip itself broke off.

The Tug is the Drug

#5 Sep-09-16 8:40AM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Yeah, best to call ahead and make sure he is open. He's fixed my stuff for the past 8 years and he's a hoot as well. As for the handle, a block of wood on each side or even wrap a rag and then put it in a vise. Phil has boxes of handles, but post a picture and I may have one of the double handles you can have too.

Last edited by Redfish12 (Sep-09-16 8:42AM)

#6 Sep-09-16 10:59AM

12thMan

Redfish12 wrote:

Yeah, best to call ahead and make sure he is open. He's fixed my stuff for the past 8 years and he's a hoot as well. As for the handle, a block of wood on each side or even wrap a rag and then put it in a vise. Phil has boxes of handles, but post a picture and I may have one of the double handles you can have too.

Wow that would be awesome,  left hand retrieve like the one in the picture. I see you are in Arlington, where do you fish? We should get after it sometime.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41PT5jU2TGL._SY355_.jpg

The Tug is the Drug

Board footer