Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-12-16 5:25PM

Ernie
Administrator

Matt Adams' (pier man0909) peppers.....

I gave some as do Paul Naj and Jeff English.

Will report on heat once consumed.

Maybe Matt can describe what we got....

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Aug-12-16 5:40PM

pier_man0909

Re: Matt Adams' (pier man0909) peppers.....

It was great to meet with you today Ernie.  Thanks for everything.  The Flakes I left with you are "Urfa Biber", From turkey.  Great as a seasoning for anything you want to add flavor and a little heat to.  I think the fresh peppers were Peach Ghost, Orange Ghost, and the Carolina Reaper which according to guinness is the worlds record.  have fun and be careful with those!

#3 Aug-12-16 6:47PM

Ernie
Administrator

I saw that guy on your page as he ate one of those....he was gasping de air!!

#4 Aug-12-16 8:12PM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

So Matt, are the red ones true Carolina Reapers? The one I got from Ernie doesn't have the "tail" that I see in articles about them. If so, I just chickened out on that one. I like a good Serrano or even a well placed Habanero but 1.5M to 2M Scoville units? I'm afraid of hurting people and animals.

The Peach Ghost looks slightly less dangerous.

#5 Aug-13-16 2:26PM

Ernie
Administrator

So.....I cut a teeny piece off the ghost and mixed it in some fresh salsa (only had green peppers in it).

It had a nice bite to it but.....it stays with you. Lips are hot and am still sweating it out. Wow!

#6 Aug-13-16 6:02PM

pier_man0909

Paul Naj wrote:

So Matt, are the red ones true Carolina Reapers? The one I got from Ernie doesn't have the "tail" that I see in articles about them. If so, I just chickened out on that one. I like a good Serrano or even a well placed Habanero but 1.5M to 2M Scoville units? I'm afraid of hurting people and animals.

The Peach Ghost looks slightly less dangerous.

yes, the red ones are true carolina reapers.  Carolina Reaper, and other super hot peppers usually have a pretty big variance on the plant with pod shapes.  I have some that have absolutley wicked tails.  Ill have to post some pictures.  Honestly, Im not sure the carolina reaper is that hot.  over the last couple years the pepper community has its doubt about the carolina reaper.  many think it is a stolen and renamed pepper and that the test results were bought.  There is no real proof either way, just lots of speculation.  I grow lots of kinds of peppers and several that people say were hotter than any reaper they ever ate.

Ernie, was it the orange or peach you used?  both are excellent peppers.  the ghosts can smack you right in the face...and then keep going, haha.

Last edited by pier_man0909 (Aug-13-16 6:06PM)

#7 Aug-14-16 6:04AM

Ernie
Administrator

Peach pepper

Round 2- cut up a little of the reaper and sautéed it with eggs and onions and tomatoes. Then everyone started  coughing. One of my sons then told me that the pepper smoke was the cause. Double wow! Through the nose and on the tounge. Only 2 of us tried the dish and it was excellent.

#8 Aug-14-16 6:11AM

Ernie
Administrator

And don't touch your eye after cutting them up.

In Cuba, we don't eat much hot food despite the habanero pepper fame. I always stayed away from hot peppers but these have taste and heat.

#9 Aug-15-16 4:30AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

WHOA! I love hot peppers and i'm sweating just reading your post. what are all of your opinions on the best peppers to cook with and the best fresh (i like to bite into a fresh thai chili while eating noodles and stuff but also referring to salsas)?

I'll have to get something spicy for lunch....

#10 Aug-15-16 6:19AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc227/HookUpAngler/TrinidadandScotchbonnetpeppers_zps15813e0f.jpg

Luv hot food.  These are Trinidad scorpions, ghost/Trinidad hybrids, and ghost.

#11 Aug-15-16 6:47AM

pier_man0909

Ernie wrote:

And don't touch your eye after cutting them up.

or your junk for that matter.  It seems to always happen to me no matter how much caution I take.  Extremely unpleasant but just have to grin and bear it.

#12 Aug-15-16 6:52AM

Ernie
Administrator

OK....it looks like we have some hot pepper afficionados on here. I've never been a fan until Matt provided some samples. Good stuff. I see an event in the making...

#13 Aug-15-16 7:01AM

pier_man0909

personally, I think the peppers are much more versatile and tolerable when dried and ground into powders or flakes.  you can use them many different ways like that.  you can mix them with other peppers and spices to make your own seasonings to your taste and different powders/blends will go better with different foods.  for eating fresh, my favorites are gonna be in the capsicum baccatum species.  brazillian starfish, aji fantasy, sugar rush, and aji kaleidascope are probably my favorites.  I also have a yellow jalapeno which is different, but really good and im waiting to try this sweet and spicy bell pepper im growing that sounds really good.  I do like carolina reapers cut up into SMALL pieces on cheese and crackers.

Last edited by pier_man0909 (Aug-15-16 7:02AM)

#14 Aug-15-16 9:28AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

I had no idea there were so many different kinds! you're making me want to start a pepper garden!

#15 Aug-15-16 10:38AM

Ernie
Administrator

AndrewDo124 wrote:

I had no idea there were so many different kinds! you're making me want to start a pepper garden!

That's what Matt has....

Just had a hot dog with pico de gallo that was laced with the peach ghost. Delish!!

#16 Aug-15-16 10:49AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

My buddy smokes the peppers with apple wood, then dehydrates them

I have a spice grinder (coffee grinder reserved only for spices) that I pulverize them and put them on food just like salt and pepper

If you add to much of the peppers to a dish, you'll have a religious experiance

#17 Aug-15-16 1:26PM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

Just had a hot dog with pico de gallo that was laced with the peach ghost. Delish!!

That. Sounds. DELICIOUS!! You should make this for the next VFC big_smile

hookup wrote:

I have a spice grinder (coffee grinder reserved only for spices) that I pulverize them and put them on food just like salt and pepper

I'm imagining someone unknowingly making coffee with that grinder after it was used to grind peppers haha. Pepper laced coffee, eh? I'd try that haha...iced please.

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#18 Aug-15-16 4:51PM

pier_man0909

AndrewDo124 wrote:

it would straight up blow your mind how many kinda there are.  in the thousands.  with all the hybrids coming out that number grows every year.  I made 4 hybrids myself last year.  then factoring in that many peppers have several colors to them it grows rather quickly.  I would like to grow more kinds but am very limited with space, time, and money.  It definitely take alot of those!

#19 Aug-15-16 4:55PM

pier_man0909

hookup wrote:

I do the same thing.  I often mix pecan with apple wood.  I make small batches and every batch is slightly different.  I made a batch of chipotle powder (smoked ripe red jalapenos) that was out of this world but I have not been able to replicate it.  my smoked carolina reaper powder goes really well in a pot/bowl of chili.  a lot of the smoked chocolate/brown peppers make excellent BBQ spices.  There really is so many possibilities.

#20 Aug-16-16 5:31AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

firemunkee wrote:

I'm imagining someone unknowingly making coffee with that grinder after it was used to grind peppers haha. Pepper laced coffee, eh? I'd try that haha...iced please.

The grinder's reserved for spices - but does has to be cleaned out if I'm grinding spices the wife'll eat

#21 Aug-16-16 6:03AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

okay. you guys got me. im ordering seeds. lol.

any tips on growing them? I see that some gardeners isolate their plants so they don't cross pollinate. is this really necessary?

in your opinion, matt, what are must have peppers? i'm going to smoke a few too!!!!!

#22 Aug-16-16 6:20AM

Ernie
Administrator

Get them from Matt....he has it all.

#23 Aug-16-16 6:44AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

Get them from Matt....he has it all.

if he's got some, i'd be happy to buy them from him! amazon prices are high and i just sent my friend in brazil out to hunt for the seeds..

#24 Aug-16-16 7:16AM

pier_man0909

Thanks Ernie.

AndrewDo124 wrote:

okay. you guys got me. im ordering seeds. lol.

any tips on growing them? I see that some gardeners isolate their plants so they don't cross pollinate. is this really necessary?

in your opinion, matt, what are must have peppers? i'm going to smoke a few too!!!!!

I would be happy to set you up with some seeds.  to be honest, seeds are pointless right now unless you want to start them now and keep them inside until spring and put out larger plants.  but they will produce nothing for you before winter.  I usually just start mine in january.  december-march is when I sell the most seeds.  I do not isolate my plants.  Mainly, because the standard practice of covering with fine netting is just for show.  It does help a good bit but is not perfect and cross pollination can still happen by wind or insects going under the netting.  the cross pollination rate is still low taking no measures since most of the flowers will pollinate themselves.  Besides, some really cool hybrids are unknown accidental hybrids.  buying isolated seeds can cost as much as twice what open pollinated seeds cost.  I may isolate a few peppers on a few plants just to have some isolated seeds on hand but in general I do not isolate. 

All of them!  Haha!  I would if I could.  Its hard for me to put a list together for someone else.  I do sell sampler boxes of fresh peppers in a small flat rate box and send them in the mail.  I would recommend getting a sampler box of some varieties to see which ones you like.  knowing a few of what you like would help in putting a list together.

#25 Aug-16-16 7:21AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Thanks for all the info! i really appreciate it! Please let me know how i can get my hands on a sample box!

Board footer