Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-30-06 9:12PM

Ernie
Administrator

6-30-06, Wicomico & Potomac River report

I had Brett Rojas and Erik Jamieson on board for some light tackle white perchin' and also to chase down some stripers down at the Wicomico and Potomac Rivers (St. Mary's County). It's an 85 mile car ride and the boys took advantage of it to catch up on some sleep.

We put in at Shamansky's and it was windier than they called for in the morning but we still managed to catch some nice white perch in the Wicomico including a fat 12 incher by Erik! We catch these by throwing beetle spins in 2-3 ' of water where there might be some structure. We manage to catch a few small stripers as well.

After the traditional crab cake sandwich lunch at Quades (check out Mrs. Quade's picture, she has been working there for 71 years!), we moved up to Swan Pt. (the wind laid down nicely) and caught more perch and a couple of nice channel cats (3.5 & 4 lbs).....that was a 1st for me at the Pt. but what a fight with the light tackle (< 6 lb line).

Both Brett and Erik had a tremendous time but they were "schooled" by the old man (they can explain some day).

The river looked much better than I anticipated (thanks to Jeff Hammett for reassuring this) but it was a bit stained and there were pockets of small debris, brown bubbles and dead fish in the middle of the river. For the out of towners, we have had a ton of rain in the last week!

It was another great day out there despite the fact that it was not an average day catching (we still caught 50+ perch and a dozen little stripers).

The question now is how the river will look on July 3 because we are going to try fly fishing down there!

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer