Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-09-15 2:10PM

RapalaAndy
Northern Snakehead

Ashburn pond's Carp-nado

I have been super busy looking for a new contract but have put some time on the ponds. Is it me or have the Carp taken over ? I never saw so many 20+lb Carp in the Pavilion lake and just about all the other Ponds. These Carp eat all the vegetation ruining nursery habitat and disturbing the Bass food chain. Big carp make a lot of damage when they are spawning. They destroy all the vegetation, leaving huge bare spots that only the long hairy algae grow. These clay bottom ponds are especially sensitive.

If they are aloud to fester I'm told they lay more eggs than any other fresh water species. Like water rabbits! We should have a weekend Carp tournament and pull some of these suckers out. IMO

#2 Jul-09-15 3:43PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Ashburn pond's Carp-nado

I agree, but these are triploid carp and cannot reproduce......they are sterile.  They go through the motions of spawning, but no viable offspring.

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#3 Jul-10-15 5:46AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Well, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc227/HookUpAngler/nb101307georgethurstonwf0.jpg

#4 Jul-10-15 7:52AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

Has anyone seen the monster that lives or used to live in the "B" lake this year? And by monster I mean the ugly beast someone snagged about 4 or 5 years ago.  I used to see it finning in the shallows when walking the dog in past years but haven't seen it this year.

#5 Jul-10-15 11:15AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

NOVAhunter wrote:

Has anyone seen the monster that lives or used to live in the "B" lake this year? And by monster I mean the ugly beast someone snagged about 4 or 5 years ago.  I used to see it finning in the shallows when walking the dog in past years but haven't seen it this year.

Died 2 years ago and washed up in Kings Ann Court Cove.

#6 Jul-10-15 1:24PM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

Curly wrote:

NOVAhunter wrote:

Died 2 years ago and washed up in Kings Ann Court Cove.

I bet that smelled like flowers.. ugh..

#7 Jul-10-15 1:46PM

RapalaAndy
Northern Snakehead

No joke on the smell...LOL

I did see a small school of Carp (about ten) all under five inches in the C pond in the early spring. Perhaps some non sterile Carp came in via the feeder creeks ?

On another related subject I would love to catch the tools that toss Koi and Apple snails in these ponds. My gut tells me things will get worse out here as we go through another population explosion in Ashburn. One of the best things done in years is when Curly headed the move to add a big order of minnows to all the ponds.

Last edited by RapalaAndy (Jul-10-15 1:51PM)

#8 Jul-10-15 1:53PM

RapalaAndy
Northern Snakehead

hookup wrote:

Well, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc22 … tonwf0.jpg

A Four pound Bass would still be much more fun to pull in . IMO

All the ponds had plenty of them 10 years ago. I recall the Pavilion pond 15 years ago was silly full of big bass.

#9 Jul-10-15 3:06PM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

I would love to catch those carp but it seems grass carp wont eat any bait i use on common carp. If there is anyone here who knows how to catch grass carp on rod and reel (not snagging) i would love to hear how. Ernie knows ive spent years trying to figure them out but i eventually gave up on them

#10 Jul-10-15 3:22PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

I would try cherry tomatoes or the bottom of green scallions.

#11 Jul-11-15 5:33PM

Ernie
Administrator

RapalaAndy wrote:

On another related subject I would love to catch the tools that toss Koi and Apple snails in these ponds.

That might be me (and others)....they were brought in as we stocked the lakes back in '94 & '99. This is before we got Odenkirk involved but now the association does their own thing. I have not been involved in that process for a bit.

The snails were Black Ramshorn. Don't know about the apple snails.

The koi were Japanese Ornamental Algae eaters. Not sure they eat grass but there are grass carp in there that do.

Time to go fishin' again!

#12 Jul-11-15 5:54PM

Ernie
Administrator

BTW, carp are not the reason that the bass counts may be low in AV....in my opinion. Poachers have done some major damage over the years.

#13 Jul-20-15 6:29AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

Ernie wrote:

The koi were Japanese Ornamental Algae eaters. Not sure they eat grass but there are grass carp in there that do.

I was in petsmart with my daughter getting dog food on sunday and while looking at the fish some guy came in and bought all their gold fish, put them right into a white drywall bucket.

#14 Jul-20-15 6:40AM

Ernie
Administrator

Catfish bait?

#15 Jul-20-15 7:10AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

Ernie wrote:

Catfish bait?

Who knows. But I will guess that is probably the main source of rouge goldfish in many of the lakes, rivers, and ponds.

Board footer