Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-13-14 11:21AM

Ernie
Administrator

New access to Potomac for yakers and canoists.

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Jun-13-14 12:13PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: New access to Potomac for yakers and canoists.

Looks good!  I will have to check it out.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#3 Jun-14-14 5:35PM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Cool! I didn't know about this. Thanks for sharing.

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#4 Jun-15-14 8:16AM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

Should be a good place to go after work during the week once the water level drops.  Much easier to get on the river than at Kepheart.

It will also be a good way to access the warm water in the winter.

#5 Jun-15-14 6:17PM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

Anyone know what the river is like between there and say algonkian? Possible to float it? I don't see anything on google earth like giant rapids.

#6 Jun-15-14 6:32PM

Ernie
Administrator

POR is at 5 ' tonight and falling.....probably running a bit fast until Tuesday or Wednesday.

#7 Jun-17-14 1:40AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

Stopped at the park yesterday to check it out. Getting there is a bit rough because the last 1.5 miles or so are on a gravel road that has a couple of washed out spots. Hopefully, they will be repaired soon. The place has plenty of parking but no room for boats trailers or launching. It is an unusual looking launch spot for kayaks and canoes. You need to either carry down a flight of about 15-20 steps, or wind down an access ramp that gets to the water. The ramp is longer, but easier to walk down or pull your kayak if using a cart. The river is very muddy and high. The launch platform looks good except it currently has about an inch of slimy mud on it due to the higher water last week. Signage mentions a launch fee in the rules, but there is no box or anything else to allow for payment or to know how much. Since it is an NV Regional Park, fees will probably end up being like Algonkian's. This stretch of river looks interesting...never fished it before. I will definitely try this place once the river becomes safer and more fishable.

#8 Jul-08-14 3:18AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

Yesterday, a friend and I did our first trip out of this place. Launching is difficult. They did build a small launch platform which would work ok when the water is higher, but on most days, it's a problem. Yesterday it was about 2 feet above the water level, and the shoreline there is at a 45 degree angle and very slippery. Figured out how to get the kayak in without falling and killing myself or losing my yak, but it wasn't fun. The Northern Virginia Regional Parks guys need to re-examine this and perhaps find a way to make the entry more gradual and less slippery. I've seen slide/roller ramps at Deep Creek State Park that would help, but there may be better solutions. I considered trying to launch next to the platform because it wasn't quite as steep, but the shore was covered with poison ivy so I ruled that out.

Now for the rest of the trip. This launch point puts you in just below  the upper end of Mason Island. The river is very shallow here...mostly around 2-3 feet. No visible rocks nearby. Water is very fast and difficult to paddle upstream. Also tough to anchor up. Found some small riffles about 1/4 mile upstream from the launch and this was where I caught my only 2 fish in two hours of fishing...an 11" smallie and a large bluegill...both on a white roostertail spinner.

After 2 hours of fishing I gave up. Getting the kayak back up onto the launch area was also challenging but easier than launching for some reason.

When I got home, I checked my books and maps to find out more about that section of river. Found the following, "note: when the river level at POR is above 2' this section is extremely fast." No wonder I  had such difficulty paddling upstream...yesterday POR was at 2.35' in the morning.

Conclusion: I won't be fishing here unless things improve at the launch and then only when the water flow is slower.

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce (Jul-08-14 3:19AM)

#9 Jul-08-14 4:44AM

Ernie
Administrator

Thanks for the heads up....sounds like you had a good workout!

#10 Jul-08-14 2:46PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

I had the same experience as Bruce a few weeks ago.   Definitely not the easiest place to launch.  My yak even rolled over off the platform, luckily the only thing that ended up in the water was a bottle of water.   Even with my motor on max I was only able to do about 1.5mph upstream. 

Fishing was decent for me though.  Most of the places I expected to have fish did.  The best spot was on the MD side just below a creek where a shallow grassy area juts out.   There is some slack water and eddies there.  In the middle of the river in this area it's 6-7ft deep and stays that way all the way up to Dickerson at least.  This explains why the river speeds up when it gets shallower downstream.

I caught one 11.5 and two 12.5" smallies, and some smaller ones.  Also caught some redbreast sunnies, a large bluegill and even a white perch.

#11 Jul-09-14 2:17AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

Ernie,
I sure did. Had to hit the Aleve as soon as I got home.

Travis,
Glad to hear that you did better than me. Of course I never made it that far upstream as my arms got too tired. That's what old age does to me. I am going to call NVRPA today to share my feedback and offer some suggestions. I'll let you know what they say.

Bruce

#12 Jul-09-14 8:44AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

Another update. I spoke to John Lewis who is one of the contact points within Northern Virginia Regional Parks system for the new White's Ford Park. (703-779-9372) I shared my views on the difficulty of using the launch site and suggested two changes that would make it safer and more user friendly. He seemed grateful for the feedback and said he would talk to his boss to see what they might be able to do to improve things. If anyone wants to give John (or Ben Bilko) some feedback, their number is above.

#13 Jul-15-14 10:02AM

dan

Good reports guys. I'm sure NVRPA would like additional feedback(both good and bad), they will make it right.

Board footer