Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-16-13 6:27PM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Old fishing gear

I was fishing at Downs Park in Pasadena, MD and an elderly couple came up to me and asked if I wanted their fishing rod. He said it is an antique but it works fine. I humbly accepted tongue It is a 5 1/2 foot Johnson Country Mile medium-light spincasting rod with an Abu Garcia Abumatic 874. I don't have a medium-light or a spincaster so it will make a fine addition to my limited collection. Everything seems to function fine except the first line guide (closest to the reel) isn't inline with the rest of them. I tried lookin up how old the reel is. Based on the model number it seems like sometime in the 90s. Anyone have any idea?

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#2 Sep-17-13 3:26PM

dave
Northern Snakehead

Re: Old fishing gear

Try the Google

#3 Sep-17-13 5:02PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

I have the complete combo Johnson Country mile spincaster and it truly will cast a mile.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#4 Sep-17-13 5:33PM

basscrusher
Northern Snakehead

The rod was especially popular from mid-1980s through early 1990s.  Reel has been around just as long, maybe longer.

#5 Sep-18-13 5:37AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

I've been fishing with Abumatics since the 70 - well, not for the past 15 years or so.  Good solid gear.

Nice reels, but heavy.  I would keep the rod & reel and start a collection of old fishing gear.

Personally, I prefer what technology has done to rods and reels and when I fish, use something more current.

#6 Sep-18-13 7:09AM

Ernie
Administrator

I have some old stuff that I had redone and it is cool to fish it but it's usually heavier. My favorite is a Wright & McGill 7wt fly rod...take a long time to load.

Time to go fishin' again!

#7 Sep-19-13 5:22AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

dave wrote:

Try the Google

That was the first thing I did. Most of the results were for reel parts or people selling it on eBay in the UK. I did find one document that had a list of all of the abumatics and the production years and other miscellaneous details, but it stopped at the 5xx series.

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Board footer