Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-15-13 2:46AM

ComeOnFish
Northern Snakehead

Kiptopeke Tautog and Rudee Inlet Speck - April 13, 2013

Mustfa (Abumasgouf) and I went to CBBT (Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel) for tautog.  As we noticed while driving on HRBT, the wind forecast was off.  The waves caused by the easterly wind was the border line of the safe kayak launch.  We might be able to launch the kayaks, but it didn't seem like the wind would calm down in the afternoon as forecasted

So we went to Kiptopeke. We caught few tog under sized (one 13" and two 14") on fresh shrimp and blue crab.  We were right about the wind. The wind didn't calm down at all whole day

In the evening we fished for speck at Rudee Inlet for possible specks as we planned.  We caught 1 speck @18.5" and a redfish @15"

The video fishing log:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN5ZZu7Enr0

Last edited by ComeOnFish (Apr-15-13 2:48AM)

#2 Apr-15-13 5:20AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Kiptopeke Tautog and Rudee Inlet Speck - April 13, 2013

Thanks for the report. Blues should be coming through Rudee any day now.

tight lines

#3 Apr-15-13 8:26AM

Ernie
Administrator

These videos are bad for me.....I sometimes watch them during a conference call.....then they ask me a question.   roll

Thanks for the report!!

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Apr-15-13 8:42AM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

LOL!! Happens to me a lot as well Ernie!

I now fully understand the passion for tog!  The anticipation of the tap tap is intense LOL! Totally worth getting up at 3am and driving close to 4 hours just to feel the tap tap! LOL big_smile
It's a drug....  I've been dreaming about it all day yesterday!

The best part is I had an awesome teacher to show me the ropes! Everything from rigging, to drifting, to describing the tap tap. I owe so much to Joe. God bless you Joe!

I took the keeper Spec you gave me to my Mom's house for dinner. Of course I roasted it Masgouf style...

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/Cooking/20130414_161227_zps2ff657fc.jpg

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/Cooking/20130414_161333_zps71722aa3.jpg

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/Cooking/20130414_161311_zpsa3212348.jpg

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/Cooking/20130414_183440_zps52a3b92d.jpg

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/Cooking/20130414_183425_zps2ef48360.jpg

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/Cooking/20130414_182327_zpsabe1b110.jpg

and the finish...

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/Cooking/20130414_185400_zps3ae2cca3.jpg

The whole family loved it!

Mustafa
ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

#5 Apr-15-13 8:47AM

Ernie
Administrator

Looks good! You are a good man to share that with the whole family.....I would have eaten the whole thing!

Tell me about the spices on it.....

#6 Apr-15-13 10:18AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Nice report guys..

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#7 Apr-15-13 11:08AM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Mustafa's stove always looks so new, wonder if he hits Lowes on the way home from fishing every trip.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#8 Apr-15-13 11:22AM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Pacemaker wrote:

Looks good! You are a good man to share that with the whole family.....I would have eaten the whole thing!

Tell me about the spices on it.....

LOL! I always bring fish home to mom! She loves fish and a HUGE part of the joy I have bringing fish home is to be able to give it to her!

I usually don't season it with anything except for salt. The smoke from the charcoal and wood adds a lot of flavor. My mom wanted to add more seasoning, and I learned not to say no to mom smile

She just put a cajun spice rub she got from Whole Foods and an Iraqi/Middle Eastern "secret ingredient," bitter orange (known in Arabic as Narinj). Some specialty Iranian grocery stores have it, and the Korean grocery store may. It adds a nice sweet/sour flavor. Come to think of it, I think they use it in Cuban cooking too... Ernie can you confirm?

Osprey wrote:

Mustafa's stove always looks so new, wonder if he hits Lowes on the way home from fishing every trip.

LOL!!! The funny thing is you're right on this time! Since I was cooking it at my mom's I had to run to Home Depot and grab some bricks!

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

#9 Apr-15-13 11:52AM

Ernie
Administrator

AbuMasgouf wrote:

It adds a nice sweet/sour flavor. Come to think of it, I think they use it in Cuban cooking too... Ernie can you confirm?

Yep! Naranja Agria is what we call it....'bitter orange". It's fabulous on many foods.

I have some reddish flakes that I get at a Turkish Kabob place near me. It's a great spice but I have no idea what it is called. I just know that I like it. Many of the "mezza" places I eat at add it to lentil soup (a favorite of mine).

#10 Apr-15-13 12:02PM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Pacemaker wrote:

AbuMasgouf wrote:

It adds a nice sweet/sour flavor. Come to think of it, I think they use it in Cuban cooking too... Ernie can you confirm?

Yep! Naranja Agria is what we call it....'bitter orange". It's fabulous on many foods.

I have some reddish flakes that I get at a Turkish Kabob place near me. It's a great spice but I have no idea what it is called. I just know that I like it. Many of the "mezza" places I eat at add it to lentil soup (a favorite of mine).

Ahh yes, its most likely Sumac. Stuff is awesome on many things. It has a nice tart flavor! And if you ever have a really bad stomach bug, eat some plain boiled rice with sumac on it. It will help cure you!

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback

#11 Apr-16-13 6:19AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

It's 9 in the morning and my mouth is watering.....I'm gonna have to try this brick oven method....looks awesome!

#12 Apr-16-13 6:50AM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

backtofuturetoyota wrote:

It's 9 in the morning and my mouth is watering.....I'm gonna have to try this brick oven method....looks awesome!

Thanks Bro! You should definitely try it. I got the two "rod racks" from Walmart of all places. It's in the camping section and supposed to be for hot dogs (shrug). The long skewer I got from a middle eastern grocery store but I'm sure can be found online. Get the one with the thinnest (yet sturdy) shaft and get it as long as you can to accommodate different size fish.

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback

Board footer