Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Mar-03-13 5:51PM

ComeOnFish
Northern Snakehead

Lake Anna Stripers and Unscheduled Self Rescue Practice - Mar 02, 2013

I decided to fish the mid-lake in Lake Anna, VA.  The water in the mid-lake was colder than that of Dike 3, and I hoped I find bigger stripers.
I launched from the state park instead of Hunter's Landing.  The water was stained.  I couldn't use all underwater footage  because stripers and lures weren't showing clearly on the videos.

I trolled hard.  I pedaled over 25 miles to find stripers.  I zigzagged over the ledges of many flats I found on the chart.  That must have been the key.  I think I was the only one caught stripers, four @18-20 inches

I got careless on the flat water as usual. I got overboard when I try to find a V8 on the bottom of the cooler behind the seat while pedaling.
Since I was wearing 3mm wetsuit, and a waist-high wader.  I was OK in the water.  I was fine until I came back to the boat ramp. 

I went out again after wearing new set of cloths/wader.  I caught one more striper that was short by 1/8 inch.

I gave the keeper to a nice couple for dinner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9uQgPbE1sU

#2 Mar-04-13 4:43AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Lake Anna Stripers and Unscheduled Self Rescue Practice - Mar 02, 2013

Good day fishing joe!  It looks like that set up is really working down there.  Glad you made it out ok from falling in.  Do you ever fish the warm side near the plant?  I notice a lot of bass fisherman go there.

#3 Mar-04-13 10:56AM

ComeOnFish
Northern Snakehead

backtofuturetoyota wrote:

Good day fishing joe!  It looks like that set up is really working down there.  Glad you made it out ok from falling in.  Do you ever fish the warm side near the plant?  I notice a lot of bass fisherman go there.

I have the private community pass to the warm side near Dike 2.   I go there to catch WP. I seldom fish for LM.  WE caught only two stripers @19 and 22 inches in the warm side.  Caught a bunch of LM but they were bycatch.   

I usually fish cooler water (50-60F) in the warm side.  But I have fished the hot water (not very close to the power plant).  I was amazed by LM that were active in 87F water.

I am into stripers now so I am learning the cold water side.  I think I got the lure and rig department right. But I am still trying to learn where the big stripers are. It seems that the little ones hang out the ledges of any good size flats.

The biggest problem is that stripers are well-fed. I guess I need to find hungry stripers

joe

#4 Mar-04-13 11:48AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Good to see you're safe. Nice catching too.

tight lines

#5 Mar-04-13 5:00PM

Ernie
Administrator

Nice work Joe....you got some exercise for sure. And redundancy pays off once again!

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer