Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Nov-26-12 4:09PM

TyF
Northern Snakehead

Costa Del Mar Lens choices

I know i have hit this topic already but i am asking for these for Christmas and have 2 options for lens types... the 400G lens in dark amber or green mirror or the 580P lens in dark amber.

I have not had a chance to compare them side by side yet but i would like to know what your opinions are.

Thanks,
Tyler

Last edited by TyF (Nov-26-12 5:34PM)

#2 Nov-26-12 7:49PM

basscrusher
Northern Snakehead

Re: Costa Del Mar Lens choices

I don't know everything about Costas, but I did a ton of research before getting my first high-end pair of shades (I have 3 pair of Maui Jims - best in the world) so maybe this will help.  You have a tradeoff here.  High quality glass is always clearer than high quality polycarbonate.  Since the poly is 580 and the glass 400, that might be mitigated, but my guess is the glass will still be clearer.  The acuity should be unreal...colors will come to life and you'll think you see better than with the naked eye, if it's good glass.  The downside is the weight.  If you go back and forth between glass and poly like I sometimes do, you will notice it.  Plus poly lenses can be put into lighter frames, exacerbating the weight difference.  If you only wear glass shades, you won't have anything to compare them to. 

With poly lenses, you get super-lightweight, usually in "cooler" looking frames.  Most people wouldn't know there's anything better out there than 580 poly lenses.  But good glass will always have the edge in clarity and acuity.

As for color...I have both amber and gray lenses.  Gray is optimal for intense sun.  Amber is good all-around.  Green/yellow lenses are the absolute best for sight fishing largemouth because they accentuate greens.  But do you want a set of lenses that are optimal really only for about one month a year?  The green/yellow shades don't block enough sun for my liking.  In fact, I used to own a pair of the yellow-green Solarbats, and had to return them.  The color gave me intense headaches.  My tournament partner had the same shades, but no headache problems, so it doesn't happen to everybody.  But it did to me.  I'd personally recommend amber, it's more versatile.  Light green lenses are a "one trick pony" to me.  And if weight is a major factor, go polycarbonate.

What would I do?  I'd get the 580 polys in amber.  I like the minimalist feel from the light weight plastic, and the amber color's versatility.

For the record, I have one pair of MJs in glass/amber, one pair in poly/amber, and one pair in poly/gray.  Pretty much covers all my bases.  Side note: if I had my way, I'd fish for smallmouth everyday.   Amber is great for sight-fishing smallies.

#3 Nov-27-12 4:42AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Ray Charles over on RiverSmallies has sunglass connections and usually goes through a couple pairs a year because he can.

He'll sell his used pairs on RS.  I've got three of them and all three have been in perfect condition.

If you're looking to save a few shillings, PM him to see what he's got.

I have a pair of Costa Del Mar Wave Killers in blue that are my everyday glasses.  I put them threw the ringer and broke the frame once.  Costa replaced the frame for $11.95.

I have two pairs of Maui Jims.  Both pairs fit my face.  If you look around, Maui Jim sunglasses gives measurements for nose, ear, and bridge. Each pair of sunglasses have a unique measurement.   You really have to go try them on to see what pair fit your face.  Both pairs are glass & grey.  These I use on blue bird days or when theres snow on the ground.  I hesitate to use they on cloudy days or low light conditions.

Lastly, dont discount Oakley's.  I've seen many pairs on clearance at the Leesburg outlet center at 1/3 of the price.

Whatever brand or make/model you get, make sure the lenses are polarized.

You may want to reread the thread you started on KBF too ... some good advise

http://www.kayakbassfishing.com/kbfBB3/ … n+glass%2A

Last edited by hookup (Nov-27-12 4:45AM)

#4 Nov-27-12 5:58AM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

get berkley shades at wal_mart. you wont feel nearly as bad when u break, scratch, or lose them

#5 Nov-27-12 1:08PM

TyF
Northern Snakehead

bigjeffie wrote:

get berkley shades at wal_mart. you wont feel nearly as bad when u break, scratch, or lose them

Haha i understand  but what i have heard is costa will replace the glasses if you scratch or break them for a small price...

hookup, Yes i got awesome information from that thread and have used that to narrow down my selection to these choices and was just wonder your opinion because i am torn...

I think i am swaying toward the 580P dark amber lenses now...

I have looked at oakleys and they do not seem to have as many polarized options as costa as far as lens color.

basscrusher that info is awesome!!! i really appreciate it!!

#6 Nov-28-12 5:51AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

TyF wrote:

I have looked at oakleys and they do not seem to have as many polarized options as costa as far as lens color.

I picked up a $180 pair of Oakleys at the Leesburg outlet center for $49.99.  They were polarized and had the yellow iridium lenses - not exactly what I wanted, but I wasn't picky for that price.

#7 Nov-28-12 11:33AM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

https://www.costadelmar.com/repair

looks like they charge YOU 12.00 for a warranty claim on a manufacturing defect_

i dont see anywhere that indicates a 'use hazard' policy. sounds like you pay for repairs

#8 Nov-28-12 1:12PM

TyF
Northern Snakehead

hookup wrote:

I picked up a $180 pair of Oakleys at the Leesburg outlet center for $49.99.  They were polarized and had the yellow iridium lenses - not exactly what I wanted, but I wasn't picky for that price.

What store did you get that deal at?

#9 Nov-28-12 5:08PM

basscrusher
Northern Snakehead

bigjeffie wrote:

Quality glasses don't scratch as easily as the cheap ones.  Besides, there is a world of difference between good and bad shades.  Anyone who says there's not much difference between Berkely or strike King glasses and Maui Jims or Costas or Oakleys...is either blind or insane.  I know Jeffie didn't make this argument, but it needs to be said because I've heard this iterated a million times.  And it's just as fallacious as ever. 

Ty, if you've got the funds or a gift coming your way, I say go for good shades.  Think of it as a health care investment.  The eye strain resulting from poor lenses can cause your sight to deteriorate faster than normal.  And that happens to all of us at some point.  Besides, good shades will actually help you catch fish if you fish shallow water.  I know people with 30 expensive rods and reels, who won't hesitate to spend $200 on a St Croix rod or Shimano reel, but won't put down more than $10 on sunglasses.  To each their own, but I'd rather have a few good rods and reels and some nice glasses.  It makes me a better angler.  I've lost count of the 5+ pounders I've caught sight fishing.

#10 Nov-29-12 5:56AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

I would go with the 580 (Glass) and depending what waters you fish (green).
In the bay go with green.
When we shoot stingrays on the pax. You can't beat them. I had Maui Jims on and my friend had Costa's He always saw fish that I couldn't. I tried his and they are amazing. I would buy some if I won the power ball.

smile

#11 Nov-29-12 4:16PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

i will concur that the optics are superior.

my friend, who is -coincidentally- tighter than bark on a tree,

has a pair of ray-ban's...

i tried them on and was astounded !!

i think his wife bought them, because he squeaks when he walks.

i will buy nice rods and reels.-- i am just too hard on glasses to stomach having a nice pair around

and_ i like to get by with less in some areas

#12 Nov-29-12 5:43PM

TyF
Northern Snakehead

I have had cheap glasses all my life and am generally not to hard on them therefore i can justify getting a nicer pair for a gift...

I agree that you can get by just fine with a cheaper pair of glasses i would just like the slight advantage you get with the extra money.

However the 580Gs are a little over my price range... i refuse to try a pair on because of how much better they are then the others... i guess that comes with the higher price.

#13 Dec-03-12 12:36PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

TyF wrote:

What store did you get that deal at?

Not sure of the name, but I think its the only sunglass outlet store at Leesburg

Board footer