Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Feb-08-08 5:43AM

Ernie
Administrator

Keeping an eye on our waters!

As we fish the rivers, lakes and ponds we fishermen can be a watchdog by monotoring their conditions.

For the Ashburn Village lakes, we have the Lakes & Ponds Committee of which John "Curly" Casale and I are members. So, if you see anything out of the ordinary, please let us know so we can report it for immidiate action.

As we fish the rivers, specifically the Shenandoah and Upper Potomac, we have a resource that keeps a close eye on them and reports conditions at the state level. His name is Herschel Finch and he is the Conservation Chief for the Potomac River Smallmouth Club (I am on the board of the club as well). Hercshel can be reached at  hlfinch@comcast.net. What he is most interested in are fish kills, sores or lessions on fish, multi fishing fish, illegal dumping (chicken poop especially) etc.

We are seeong a bit of a resurgency of smallies on the river and we need to keeep that going!

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Feb-08-08 8:15PM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

Re: Keeping an eye on our waters!

good timely post ernie

on a river note - round about early/mid march is when the rivers have been having problems the last few years.  It seems to hit hard for a few weeks then tapers off for several months and is pretty much said and done by july (atleast the symptoms).

thanks

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

#3 Feb-13-08 12:56PM

DoahRat

Appropriate that my first post should here I guess.

For those I am about to meet, I am the "Herschel" of whom Ernie spoke of (he even spelled my name right!! if you knew how seldom that happens on a forum you'd understand my surprise!)

Spring is indeed approaching. Along about the first part of March, start keeping your eyes open for lethargic fish, fish with leasions, fin rot, and gills that are anything but bright, bloody red. All are signs of a problem. Also keep an eye out for fish with irregular scales. Scales on a fish follow a uniform pattern, If you catch one where the scales look like they've been stirred up, or irregular, they want to see that as well. Take your pictures and send them to me or to Jeff Kelbe, the Shenandoah River Keeper. He'll get them to the people that need to see them. If you're on the Potomac, likewise, send those pictures to Ed Merrifield, the Potomac River Keeper.

Thanx for the help gang.

#4 Feb-13-08 4:44PM

Ernie
Administrator

Welcome to the board Herschel and thanks for what you do!!

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 Feb-13-08 5:05PM

DoahRat

Ernie if We're lucky..I'll get to fish this year from April thru June, unlike last year...those months were given over to looking down mostly when I was on the 'Doah.

Board footer