Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#26 Oct-09-12 11:31AM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Re: Looking for Kayak tips and suggestions

Osprey wrote:

Easton Cycle Sport just put a new post on snaggedline.com  Ryan still has 1 2012 revo 13 demonstrator left for sale. He's asking $1294.00, that's more than $600 off new price

That's a phenomenal deal!

I just called Ryan and talked to him a bit (also a very nice guy... there seems to be a pattern here with kayak folks smile ). Honestly I would like to try it out before I buy it and with a 2 hour drive one way, I can't get out there until Friday/Saturday the earliest. I don't want to put him in a predicament by "reserving it" for me if there are other customers who may be able to buy it earlier. He did say that it has some surface scratches because it was part of their rental&demo fleet. Osprey (or others), what are your thoughts? (you can follow-up with me through email if you like)

I'm planning on calling him tomorrow to let him know about Friday/Saturday...

My other thought is, if I'm planning on going out that far, I'd rather also fish the area! LOL lol

But since I've never really been in a kayak (except once in camp a while ago) I wouldn't know what to do if there are particular tips and tricks on launching, getting on, off, etc...

Mustafa
ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

#27 Oct-09-12 12:06PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

I'm sure Ryan will give you tips about launching, and how to set the pedals. The easiest way to get in or out is from shore where the front of the yak is on the beach. The Revo is narrow so the best way is to walk out beside it and straddle it, then just sit in the seat. The boats you can't stradle, like a pro angler, again get beside iit and with your back to the side hold on to the boat and just sit back into the seat. You should already be wearing your vest just in case. After you're out from shore drop the rudder and snap the mirage drive in and away you go. That's what works best for me, but I'm old and stiff.
As far as fishing during your demo, I don't know where the nearest water is to Easton. It's probably salt so there should be white perch. Remember less is better, so 1 rod and a small box of lures should do the trick. Go somewhere and pick up a cheap dog leash (smallest you can find) so you can leash the rod to the kayak when it's not in your hand. Anything that can fall out will eventually fall out.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#28 Oct-09-12 3:05PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

If you want that boat I'd recommend you put a deposit on it! It will go fast at that price!

I have 2 Revo's and could potentially facilitate a test paddle after work but it might be difficult to align schedules.

#29 Oct-09-12 3:15PM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Redfish12 wrote:

If you want that boat I'd recommend you put a deposit on it! It will go fast at that price!

I have 2 Revo's and could potentially facilitate a test paddle after work but it might be difficult to align schedules.

Since you would be doing me this great favor I would totally work around what is most convenient for you bro! I can also come and help you load the yaks on the car.

Feel free to email me and hopefully we can figure it out... smile

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

#30 Oct-09-12 3:19PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

I should be home relatively early tomorrow, we can meet at Hunting Creek or somewhere else on the Potomac?

#31 Oct-10-12 6:52AM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Well the search is over! I am the lucky owner of the 2012 Revolution 13 from Easton Cycle Sport! ($1294.00) big_smile

After talking to Michael yesterday (Redfish12) I was ready to jump in with both feet! He also generously offered to take me out on his Revo as an intro... Totally awesome of him!

Next step is to get together with other kayakers and actually do some fishing!! smile

To each of you, a big thank you for your tips and advice... and a special thank you to Osprey who alerted me of this great deal!

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback

#32 Oct-10-12 7:19AM

Ernie
Administrator

Congrats!

I may go to BDR or Algonkian on Friday if the Nats take care of business in the next 2 days (I have a ticket for Game 5 on Friday, if necessary).

Time to go fishin' again!

#33 Oct-10-12 7:27AM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Pacemaker wrote:

Congrats!

I may go to BDR or Algonkian on Friday if the Nats take care of business in the next 2 days (I have a ticket for Game 5 on Friday, if necessary).

Cool! Michael and I talked about going out on Friday, so maybe all three of us can meet up together somewhere... I know he has a very long commute though, so I'll let him make the final decision. smile

(Where/What is BDR?)

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback

#34 Oct-10-12 7:51AM

Ernie
Administrator

Beaverdam Reservoir- Ashburn VA

I may tag along if you go out Friday unless the Nats have to play in Game 5.

Time to go fishin' again!

#35 Oct-10-12 8:47AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

AbuMasgouf wrote:

Well the search is over! I am the lucky owner of the 2012 Revolution 13

Welcome to the dark side

Now you can think about paddles, life vests, dry bags, polartec, gortex, and accessorizing.

imho - Keep it simple.

#36 Oct-10-12 9:00AM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

hookup wrote:

Welcome to the dark side

Now you can think about paddles, life vests, dry bags, polartec, gortex, and accessorizing.

imho - Keep it simple.

Totally agree to keeping it simple!

Good thing is, it comes with a carbon fiber paddle and I already have a nice pfd from my canoe... as for the dry bag and clothing... oh man you're right!

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback

#37 Oct-10-12 12:33PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Keep in mind, I paddle rivers, and usually put in, then float down 5-10 miles to a take out.  If I was close to my put in, you wouldn't need all this stuff.

In the colder months, if you choose to paddle & fish I would highly recommend carrying a dry bag for extra cloths.  A first aid kit is also recommended - I've done emergency first aid on my self mid river.  Your kit should contain the basics; like bandades, surgical tape, guage & anticeptic.  Other nice things are a BIC lighter, couple airs of rubber surgeon type gloves, and meds.  In addition, during the winter months I carry a small towel & fire starter.

You can buy fire sticks, but also make fire starter with dryer lint soaked in wax.  Also carry a small container of denatred alcohol just in case I need to start a fire fast.

Cell phone's another nicety - and if you have a newer vehicle with one of those electronic keys, you may want a small plano box to carry those in.  If you smoke, a way to keep them dry's important too.

Enjoy!

#38 Oct-10-12 1:29PM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

hookup wrote:

Keep in mind, I paddle rivers, and usually put in, then float down 5-10 miles to a take out.  If I was close to my put in, you wouldn't need all this stuff.

In the colder months, if you choose to paddle & fish I would highly recommend carrying a dry bag for extra cloths.  A first aid kit is also recommended - I've done emergency first aid on my self mid river.  Your kit should contain the basics; like bandades, surgical tape, guage & anticeptic.  Other nice things are a BIC lighter, couple airs of rubber surgeon type gloves, and meds.  In addition, during the winter months I carry a small towel & fire starter.

You can buy fire sticks, but also make fire starter with dryer lint soaked in wax.  Also carry a small container of denatred alcohol just in case I need to start a fire fast.

Cell phone's another nicety - and if you have a newer vehicle with one of those electronic keys, you may want a small plano box to carry those in.  If you smoke, a way to keep them dry's important too.

Enjoy!

Thanks for all the tips my friend!

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback

#39 Oct-10-12 5:08PM

mjuarez

Congrats Mustafa..... What time are you going out on Friday?

Miguel

Last edited by mjuarez (Oct-10-12 5:19PM)

Live to fish. Forced to work.

#40 Oct-11-12 8:22AM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

mjuarez wrote:

Congrats Mustafa..... What time are you going out on Friday?

Miguel

Thanks Miguel!

Not sure yet...  I'll let you know as soon as I hear from Michael.

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback

#41 Oct-11-12 3:22PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Guys, I am sorry to say this but I am hosed for Friday!!! What went from a completely open schedule is now a fullll day of meetings till 1530. If you guys want to fish after that time out in the Bay area (Eastern Bay most likely) then please let me know!

Mustafa, sorry to have to change plans man, I was really looking forward to showing you the Revo. Give me a call and maybe we can work something out!

#42 Oct-14-12 3:59PM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

So I went Saturday to pick up my Kayak from Easton Cycle Sport and then met up with Michael (Redfish12) at Bennet Point landing.... MAN WHAT A DAY!

I am soooo happy with my purchase! All thanks to Osprey who posted about the deal and to Michael who assured me that I will totally be happy with my purchase!

Here are the boats after a day on the water (mine is the one in the middle... kind of a funny coincidence that the first one I posted about was also yellow)
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/20121013_182953_zpsa5f04f77.jpg

and here is the first fish ever caught on my new Hobie!
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/image-1_zps00822991.jpg

If it wasn't for this thread and all the people who posted on it... this wouldn't have happened! and I can't believe it all happened in two weeks!

Thank you again to all!

Last edited by AbuMasgouf (Oct-14-12 4:01PM)

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback

#43 Oct-14-12 7:04PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Welcome to the addiction! Great day on the water yesterday. I'll put my report from the other site up on here too.

#44 Oct-15-12 9:46AM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

What a really cool outcome, from thinking you want a kayak to catching your first striper from your very own Hobie in less thn 2 weeks. Getting hooked up with Michael was good fortune as well. Hope you and your kayak have many adventures to share with us in the future

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#45 Oct-15-12 11:00AM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Osprey wrote:

What a really cool outcome, from thinking you want a kayak to catching your first striper from your very own Hobie in less thn 2 weeks. Getting hooked up with Michael was good fortune as well. Hope you and your kayak have many adventures to share with us in the future

Thank you Osprey!!

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback

Board footer