Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-30-12 7:35PM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Looking for Kayak tips and suggestions

My apologies if this information has been posted before.

I'm in the market for a fishing kayak and have no idea where to begin. My main factor is weight... I prefer for the kayak to be under 60lbs so I can easily lug it around and strap it on my vehicle. I have a nice canoe, but its a burden to lug around.

I see a lot of people talking about Hobbie and OK and I wanted to get advice from some of the regular kayak fishermen. Needless to say ComeOnFish's (Joe) video have been a major inspiration and I would like to take the next step of fishing on the water more regularly. I am interested in accessorizing it as well and have seen a couple of the posts on the forum.

Anyone know of a good store where I can try a variety kayaks out or talk to well informed sales people?

Thank you in advance for any advice... smile

-Mustafa

Mustafa
ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

#2 Oct-01-12 5:11AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Looking for Kayak tips and suggestions

Welcome.

What will you be using the kayak for - rivers, lakes, both.  If rivers, how technical are you getting?  What's your weight?  How much stuff will you be carrying? What is your budget?

Allot of questions, but best bet is to visit a kayak dealer during a demo day & paddle a few yourself.

I fish rivers and have three - a 10' Wilderness System Tarpon 100, a 10' Perception Pescador, and an 11' Jackson Coosa.  The Coosa's at the top of your weight limit, while the other two weigh in around 50#.  95% of the time I'm on the local rivers running class I's and II's, with the occational Class III.

Dont forget you'll also need a paddle & a life vest.  I suggest investing in a good paddle made from graphite because it's your motor.

#3 Oct-01-12 5:49AM

Ernie
Administrator

I use an OK 13' Prowler because it's what I have. I do not run Class III rapids but can do just fine on the others. It does take more work to turn than George's (Hook Up) 10 or 11 footers. But I can paddle faaaast should the need arise (like on a reservoir). It is a versatile yak.

OK has a 12' model that looks great and would be very versatile.

If you are going to just fish the rivers, then get one like Hook Up's. If you are going to use it in the bay or bigger waters, get a 12 or 13 footer.

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Oct-01-12 8:47AM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

I'd like to fish the rivers, lakes, and the bay. As to how technical... I'm still new so I'm not sure, but I'd like to have something that is versatile enough to give me all three options... I am interested in the Hobie because of their MirageDrive, but just from reading around, they don't work well in shallow areas (can anyone confirm?).

As far as how much stuff... well since I'm new I don't have a lot of stuff but I'd like to get something that will give me the option of carrying all the "necessary" stuff (that I'll learn about from others smile )

So for now I want something that is not entry level but not so high that I break the bank. My max is about $1K, but obviously I'd love to save money when I can. So I would probably be more interested in a used one that someone has worked on and accessorized. That way it already has some nice bells and whistles and is a good deal. I can always add or modify my own bells and whistles as I get more familiar with the activity.

Just some thoughts smile

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

#5 Oct-01-12 6:51PM

Sun

If you are close to a kayak rental place, you can try renting some boats to see what fits you before buying a boat.  Pre-rigged boats are nice...but after a season or so of fishing, you'll probably find that you don't like the placement of some of those accessories and either re-rig or sell it to get a new kayak smile.

I know Eastern Mountain Sports rents out Wilderness Systems kayaks, which are nice boats that can do rivers lakes and the bay very well.  They have a 20% off sale on Wilderness Systems boats right now (I don't work for them...but I do have a Tarpon 100 on order from them).

There are places that rent out Hobies as well if you want to try them out. if $1k is your limit, i'd avoid trying one out, because it'll force you to stretch your budget just enough to get one wink.

If you want to go the used boat route, do the rental thing to figure out what kind of boat you want (sit-in, sit-on-top, length, etc), and then scour craigslist for a used one.  There are some phone apps that can help.  I use craigslist notifications for android that updates several times an hour to get the latest postings on kayaks.  There are plenty out there within your price range.

#6 Oct-01-12 7:12PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Welcome to the club!!  My son and I have Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100s.  I love mine, and my son wants a bigger boat.  If you are planning on paddling any distance on any body of water, the longer kayaks will put the Tarpon 100 to shame.  I have been out with Ernie several times and he effortlessly cruises on past me in his 13 ft Prowler while I am working hard paddling.  BUT, in smaller water and for ease of loading on top of an SUV, the Tarpon is a great boat.  Very well made and actually pretty fast for a 10 ft sit on top.  Also, if you ever picture yourself standing up in the kayak to fish, you will want to consider some other kayaks.  The Coosa mentioned above is an excellent kayak for standing as well as paddling.  Hope this helps.

#7 Oct-01-12 7:16PM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Thanks for the advice Sun. I can totally see the point of not wanting something that was set up for someone else....so that's something I definitely need to think about.. Do you know of a location that rents Hobies?

Thanks for the welcome GregF! Yes it definitely helps to get a little more information about the different types of yaks and the advantages/disadvantages of the different sizes. There is a lot I need to consider...

Funny that Sun mentioned craig's list and Hobie... they look really nice, especially that it gives you the option to peddle or paddle...

I found one that I wanted to get input on... to get an idea of whether or not it is a good price... I don't have a lot of space, so I'd like to get something that I really like and can use for different bodies of water... and I really like the mirage drive... or at least the idea of it

I was just looking at craig's list and found this 2008 Hobie Revolution (13 foot) for $1850
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/ … 03381.html

Along with the stated cart, seats and sail, the guy said the package also includes fish finder,battery,fishing rod holder,anchor,and transducer. I found out it was a 13ft from his email to me. He also sent me a couple of pictures and it looks pretty nice....

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/photo3_zps2caf6a20.jpg
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/photo2_zps94d7dfd8.jpg
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/photo1_zpsddc4e441.jpg

Question is... is this a reasonable price? Any Hobie owners have any thoughts?
I'm not saying I'm going to get it... I'm just trying to understand what's worth it and what's not...

RedFish gave me a great suggestion earlier of contacting Appomattox River Company and chatting with them about what they have in stock.

Last edited by AbuMasgouf (Oct-01-12 7:47PM)

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback

#8 Oct-02-12 10:08AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

That is a nice boat for a lake or ocean, but a river will eat those foot pedals up.  Also if you get into any type of rapids, forget it as far as handling goes.

Seems like you really need a couple boats for the versitile fishing you want.

#9 Oct-02-12 11:11AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

But aren't the foot peddles (and blades underneath) removeable as a unit from the top of the kayak for shallow water (rivers or heavy weeds)?

#10 Oct-02-12 11:19AM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

GregF wrote:

But aren't the foot peddles (and blades underneath) removeable as a unit from the top of the kayak for shallow water (rivers or heavy weeds)?

I think so. I've seen pictures of it with a plug in place of the pedals. Any Hobie owners out there to confirm and maybe talk about their experiences on different waters?

hookup wrote:

Seems like you really need a couple boats for the versitile fishing you want.

You maybe right about that... but since I'm limited with space, I'd like to get something that'll give me pretty good options for now, and I can always buy another (just for rivers for example) in the future.

This chat is really helping me think through my options.

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback

#11 Oct-02-12 11:39AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

I have friends with Hobie's and the pedals are removable...

I started with my Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13.  This boat worked great for the freshwater I did on rivers, lakes, and reservoirs.  Did not have to much of a problem positioning it.  And it was pretty fast since it was longer and tracks better so you can cover more water.  It takes waves over the top very well if you want to do salt.  I have done surf launches and nasty days under the HRBT in it with no scare in turtleing.  It handles the rapids I've been on as well fine.  You can stand, but it is a little bit of work.

I recently got a Commander 140.  Which I love.  It has turned into my freshwater boat.  It is a hybrid yak.  The unique bottom allows you to track well with great speed.  I can stand with ease while taking boat wakes from any direction.  Lots of room to keep stuff.  I now only use my Ocean Kayak for strictly salt.  I have never used the Commander on a river yet though and do not know how it goes.

#12 Oct-02-12 11:40AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Also, Appomattox River Company is a great place to check out kayaks.  But, I would wait for the next demo day if you want to wait that long so that you can paddle many different yaks.

I do not think you can go wrong though with any wilderness system, ocean kayak, or Hobie.  The Jakson Coosa's are apparently pretty good, but I have not paddled them yet...

#13 Oct-02-12 12:57PM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

@redskinsfan360
Thanks for the info on the OK Prowler 13 and WS Commander 140.

I like the idea of checking out a demo day... When and where do they usually have those?

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback

#14 Oct-02-12 1:38PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

AbuMasgouf wrote:

@redskinsfan360
Thanks for the info on the OK Prowler 13 and WS Commander 140.

I like the idea of checking out a demo day... When and where do they usually have those?

Demo days are usually in spring and summer. Most places are currently selling off their demo fleets.  You haven't said where you are located, if you're nerar someone perhaps you could testpaddle one of our kayaks. As for the Hobie Revo, that is one of the more popular fishing Hobies. It's also one of the fastest. I see the cart has the beach wheels which  makes the cart wort $125. The sailing kit is and expensive option and the boat looks clean, so the asking price seems reasonable.
When you get in shallows with a Hobie you push a peddal all the way forward and use the furnished bungee to hold them in place. That has the pedals up against the hull. Then you use the paddle.
From the pics you posted it looks fully loaded including a spare wheel. That seems like way more than a starter kayak, maybe comeonfish can comment, I know he has a sail kit. I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever yak you choose.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#15 Oct-02-12 1:47PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Almost forgot, welcome to the group. You might enjoy snaggedline.com  a strictly kayak site. Look under the Tackle Shop header for some kayaks for sale. There's also a post there from a dealer on the eastern shore with some 2012 demos left. I can vouch for his service.

#16 Oct-02-12 1:51PM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Osprey wrote:

Almost forgot, welcome to the group. You might enjoy snaggedline.com  a strictly kayak site. Look under the Tackle Shop header for some kayaks for sale. There's also a post there from a dealer on the eastern shore with some 2012 demos left. I can vouch for his service.

Thank you very much!! I'll go sign up and look around

Osprey wrote:

You haven't said where you are located, if you're near someone perhaps you could testpaddle one of our kayaks.

Sorry, I'm in Herndon, VA (I also updated my profile). That would be great if I can try it out first...

Last edited by AbuMasgouf (Oct-02-12 2:38PM)

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback

#17 Oct-03-12 6:13AM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

I'll chime in with more once I catch up on the thread, but backyard boats does free demo's of the hobie fleet and they are getting ready to sell this year's demo boat at a discount. It's a good deal and still comes with the 2 yr warranty. They have shops in Annapolis and Woodbridge.

I have 2 Hobie Revolutions but I have owned a lot of different kayaks over the years, I'll try to give some more info when I have a free minute.

#18 Oct-04-12 8:30AM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Redfish12 wrote:

I'll chime in with more once I catch up on the thread, but backyard boats does free demo's of the hobie fleet and they are getting ready to sell this year's demo boat at a discount. It's a good deal and still comes with the 2 yr warranty. They have shops in Annapolis and Woodbridge.

I have 2 Hobie Revolutions but I have owned a lot of different kayaks over the years, I'll try to give some more info when I have a free minute.

Thanks Michael. I'd appreciate any information... It's always good learn from different perspectives!

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback

#19 Oct-05-12 8:33AM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Ok, reading through looks like you guys were wondering about Hobies in shallow water? Definitely not a problem to either pop the fins out or just push one foot forward and the fins tuck up against the hull. The boat comes with a plug if you want to strictly paddle it, otherwise water comes in the drive slot. For the most part they paddle just fine, although my first Revo must have some sort of hull issue because it turns right all the time. Not my favorite thing to paddle long distances, but peddling? It's smoking fast! I used to be able to keep up with Joe (ComeOnFish) in his adventure and that made me pretty happy since he it's three feet longer and more narrow (it's like a rocket).

It sounds like you're looking for an all around kind of kayak right? Rivers, lakes, bay, etc? It's hard to find a kayak that excels at all of those things, that's why there are so many choices out there! Generally the rule is the longer and skinnier the boat, the faster it paddles and trade-off is it is harder to turn and less stable. Conversely, the shorter the boat the slower it paddles and faster it is to turn. Make the boat wider and you get more stability, slower paddling, and a heavier hull...

The options these guys outlined are spot on. Tarpon 100 or 120 (I think 12ft is minimum for the bay but Greg and his son disproved that and I spent 6 days paddling a tarpon 100 in MA and found it to be very capable), Prowler 13 or Trident 13, or the Trident 11, Coosa, or the Hobie Revolution. I know there are other boats out there but these are very popular so we'll stick with them for now.

How tall are you? How much to you weigh? Are you a bring the kitchen sink kind of guy or more minimal? How much time do you think you'll have to kayak fish?

#20 Oct-05-12 3:06PM

Ernie
Administrator

Good advice Michael!!

After my 1st Hobie adventure today, I am not sure I would want to do any rapids other than a Class I with a peddle drive. Too much to think about while going through a rapid. Being in shallow water as I was today...no issue.

#21 Oct-05-12 3:17PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

How'd you like it Ernie? Did you take it out on your lake?

#22 Oct-05-12 3:31PM

Ernie
Administrator

I liked it a lot....went to the 301 with Osprey!

Paddled my fanny off.....

#23 Oct-06-12 8:48AM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Redfish12 wrote:

Ok, reading through looks like you guys were wondering about Hobies in shallow water? Definitely not a problem to either pop the fins out or just push one foot forward and the fins tuck up against the hull. The boat comes with a plug if you want to strictly paddle it, otherwise water comes in the drive slot. For the most part they paddle just fine, although my first Revo must have some sort of hull issue because it turns right all the time. Not my favorite thing to paddle long distances, but peddling? It's smoking fast! I used to be able to keep up with Joe (ComeOnFish) in his adventure and that made me pretty happy since he it's three feet longer and more narrow (it's like a rocket).

It sounds like you're looking for an all around kind of kayak right? Rivers, lakes, bay, etc? It's hard to find a kayak that excels at all of those things, that's why there are so many choices out there! Generally the rule is the longer and skinnier the boat, the faster it paddles and trade-off is it is harder to turn and less stable. Conversely, the shorter the boat the slower it paddles and faster it is to turn. Make the boat wider and you get more stability, slower paddling, and a heavier hull...

The options these guys outlined are spot on. Tarpon 100 or 120 (I think 12ft is minimum for the bay but Greg and his son disproved that and I spent 6 days paddling a tarpon 100 in MA and found it to be very capable), Prowler 13 or Trident 13, or the Trident 11, Coosa, or the Hobie Revolution. I know there are other boats out there but these are very popular so we'll stick with them for now.

How tall are you? How much to you weigh? Are you a bring the kitchen sink kind of guy or more minimal? How much time do you think you'll have to kayak fish?

Thanks Michael for the information.
I am 5'11'' and about 190lbs... I am the guy in the green shirt and tan hat holding the red drum in this post:
http://www.pacemakerfishing.com/forum/v … hp?id=5055

I prefer to be a minimalist. That being said when I'm learning or doing something for the first time I have a tendency to bring a lot because I have no idea what I would need. As I understand and learn more, I much prefer to bring the bare minimum.

As for time, I can have plenty. My loving wife has embraced my new found hobby and is very supportive of it. Plus we both believe that this is a good activity to eventually get my sons into.... so my ability to learn and become proficient will mean a better role model/teacher for them smile ....So I can be out on the water for hours... I just need to find a place to pray at midday smile and I'm good till the sun goes down big_smile

Truthfully, I'm leaning towards a Hobie because it gives me the option of peddling and I really want to start getting out there on the bay as much as I can... like I said before, my second inspiration/hook into fishing was watching Joe's (comeonefish) videos... I know that's past my $1K budget, but if I'm going to get something, I might as well get something I really would want!

I'll check out Backyard boats on Monday to get up close to a Hobie. I would like to try one out before I jump in with both feet though... If anyone is going out sometime, I would be really be interested in coming along and trying one out.

Thanks for all the information guys! I really appreciate all the time and effort each one of you put to help me out smile

Last edited by AbuMasgouf (Oct-09-12 4:50AM)

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback

#24 Oct-09-12 4:57AM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Went to Backyard Boats un Woodbridge on Monday. Really nice people.  Most of their display boats were at the boat Show so I didn't get to see the Revo 13 but I did see the 11, so I have an idea.  They had an outback that I sat I. And it was comfortable...  I'd still like to actually peddle it on the water.

They said their demo boats can be tried in their Annapolis store...  But that would take some planning to get out there... 

Anyone close to Herndon have some time one of these weekends to let me try their Hobie?

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback

#25 Oct-09-12 8:54AM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Easton Cycle Sport just put a new post on snaggedline.com  Ryan still has 1 2012 revo 13 demonstrator left for sale. He's asking $1294.00, that's more than $600 off new price

Board footer