Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-08-12 3:05PM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

Choopy Lures NOVA Invasion

Charlie M and I got together for a 2 day attack on various local fishing. Charlie drove down from NJ on Wedensday night and the plan was to hit Pohick on Thursday, BDC Friday morning and the Upper Potomac Friday afternoon. Thanks to Ernie we had a kayak for Charlie rigged and ready to go. Our plan was for me to fish the typical lures for these waters and Charlie would fish some of his newest creations as well as some proven reliable Choopys.

We set out Thursday morning hoping to get into bass and snakeheads. With light wind, only a 20% chance of rain and an incoming tide we were feeling good about our chances. Since neither of us ever fished Pohick, with some guidance from Ernie we set out exploring. Based on some of our past trips we probably should have expected it wink but after about 2 hours on the water without a hit, our 20% chance of rain turned to 2 hours of steady downpour and thunderstorms. While waiting for the storms to clear we made the decision to take the kayaks over to Accotink. I saw 2 snakeheads react to my frog but neither committed to eating. As usual we scared a few away paddling through some thick hydrilla. The bass fishing wasn't great but we did manage some fish on frogs and Charlie's new "Little Barky". He can fill in with the numbers but that plug caught the bulk of the fish and because I was stubborn and stuck with the frog too long, he out gunned me pretty well.

Tired from the lack of sleep and a long day we were looking forward to wrapping up and prepping for Friday. As we were coming off the water a tow boat pulled up and asked us if we would help him by paddling a tow rope out to a stranded boat that was easily 800 or 900 feet out on a very shallow flat on outgoing tide. Charlie offered to go and quickly figured out that this was not a trivial task. It took a very long time because of the drag created by the hydrilla and the current. He had to stop and muscle the line out with a paddle dug into his chest to stay stationary. The poor guy came back exhausted but the tow boat guy paid him for the effort. They never got the stranded boat off the flat and had to wait until the tide turned and came up. We left exhausted but happy.

Friday morning we hit the reservoir. We got a bit of a slow start but were able to fish the coves a bit with top water and my usual deep water spots. The fishing was very slow. We only had 3 hits in 4 hours of fishing and I managed to land a 4lb 6oz and a 3lb 13oz fish. With the lack of bites it was off to the Upper Potomac.

We arriived at Landers around noon and the plan was to float to Point of Rocks. The water was a little high and a lot of the rocks that I've seen in the past that cause some nice current breaks were covered. We paddled upstream to some visible structure. Again the fishing was slow but I did manage a nice 14" smallie on top water. We drifted downriver and had a couple of small fish but very little action compared to what I'm used to. We then came to the rapids about half way through the float. Because of the high water they were easy to navigate and creating some awesome seams to fish. We hopped several different rock piles and got a bunch of smallmouths on topwater. Most were in the 10 to 12 inch range with a few smaller and a a couple bigger including a 3lb 10oz beauty for Charlie, his personal best SMB.

We fished a bit more downriver and then finally paddled the last stretch because it was getting late. We were about 300 yards up river from the takeout when Charlie went into a panic. He realized he left the keys to his truck (at POR) in my truck which was up at Landers. In case you were wondering it's a 3.3 mile run between the two on the C&O trail. smile thank god he's in great shape.  So for the second day in a row we had an exhausting day of fishing with Charlie enduring a super human feat on top of the exhaustion. I hope I haven't scared him away forever.

In summary, he kicked my butt with his Little Barky. This thing really raises fish. I'm determined to get better at working a spook like bait. Thanks for making the trip Charlie, I can't wait to do it again.

Thursday
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk211/pnajdzin/Choopy%20NOVA%20Trip/c89af8d608c9e428d14b5b7638c430c3.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk211/pnajdzin/Choopy%20NOVA%20Trip/5b64d1e3349f190cc95a5e65716ec254.jpg

BDC Reservoir

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk211/pnajdzin/Choopy%20NOVA%20Trip/7c982df6b184dfdb0bf12a3362994698.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk211/pnajdzin/Choopy%20NOVA%20Trip/ed671bd803b78d63a21f4b64677c1423.jpg

Upper Potomac

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk211/pnajdzin/Choopy%20NOVA%20Trip/bfa0ba047966001d0209e902c2cb338f.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk211/pnajdzin/Choopy%20NOVA%20Trip/2655c9133a36e52c609897303ede2629.jpg

#2 Sep-08-12 3:12PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Choopy Lures NOVA Invasion

That's a great way to do a shuttle!

Sounds like a couple of nice fishing days.....well done.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Sep-09-12 4:52AM

Charlie M
Website

Wowzers. I still think I am still recovering a few days later.

I was excited for this trip. Not a giddy like a child before Christmas, or a grown man about to get on a ferry to Block Island, but excited none the less. I heard a lot of good things about the water down there, and since I have resurrected my love for freshwater species, I thought this would be a great way to learn more, especially some structure that I don't fish or don't feel I am very good at. Plus I wanted to see what these snake heads were all about.

Paul hit all the basics, so I will add a few things from my perspective.

Pohick Bay: Hickory shad took over the area I think the LMB wanted to be staged in at the current tide. If the bumpers didn't start, we might have found them in some other spots. The hickory's were thick and rolling on small bait. Looked like killies to me. Still surprised we didn't pull a fish or two out of the hydrilla.

And I am to blame for the storms. every trip I plan, I bring some level of suck. Storms. Heavy seas. Crazy wind. I am the common denominator. While its all my fault, Paul should have know to tell me he was out of the country when I invited myself.

Accotink: I found a weed line and fish with in a few casts. And then another fish that was a bit bigger. Hung out there for a bit and decided to head into the creeks for the outgoing. Paul had one while we fished our way through. Some nice structure, but not really much bait. We headed back to the original weedl ine and had fish again. They were eating lil Barky, so I let them. I tried a few other things, but I really like fishing that bait. I think we both had 4 or 5 fish. I won the daily pool with a 3 lb 2 oz LMB. No snake heads.

Paddling through 12" of water, pulling a rope is not fun. But it did pay for dinner and some gas for the drive home. So mission accomplished I guess.

BVD. After a little bit of sleep, we headed out and I was going to get a lesson in deep water fishing. After tying a rope around a rock for a makeshift anchor, we were off. Paul is clearly a good deep water fisherman. He understands the structure and how to attack it, and it showed with his 4 lb 6 oz. LMB that was the first fish boated. It took me some fumbling, but I think I sorta got the hang of it. No bites for me though. I resisted the urge to go find some fish in shallower water, and did a good job for a while. Until I had to pull anchor to go retrieve a rattle trap from a rock. Then I sort of drifted there. I blame the wind. Still left there a bit skunked.

Upper Potomac. Smallies! I love these fish. I don't fish for them often, but I really love them. They hit like a train and have 5x the heart of a largemouth. It started out slow and we probably stayed in a few spots a bit longer than we should have. It all looked good, but they were there, or not eating. I am usually pretty confident when fishing current and willing to fish quickly from spot to spot. Paul got the first on a popper. I finally got one on a shad rap and daily skunk was removed. As we drifted lower, we started to get some bites on tubes. Then we get to a set of rocks and we find them holding pretty good.A few on tubes and a few on lil Barky. Paul was beating up on them with his popper. I wore out my welcome, so I move across river and found a nice current break where I had the 3 lb 10 oz on lil Barky. These fish are so strong in current, and know exactly how to use it. They remind me a lot of tog. I caught another and decided to just sit for a few minutes and let my sunburnt feet cool off in the water.

Final tally for the day. Paul had a couple LMB with the daily pool for his 4 lb 6 oz. I am guessing we both had 12-18 SMB each.

And as Paul mentioned, I had to recruit my former athletic self to go fetch my keys. I don't think I have ever done anything quite so dumb. Pretty sure Paul was going to drown me. On the bright side, if you guys like biking or running, the C&O trail is really nice. I got back to Point of Rocks after destroying Paul's truck with my funky self, and took a quick dip in the river. We loaded up the trucks and was back off to NJ.

Thanks to Paul for his hospitality and putting up with all the hi-jinx I bring on these trips. Dude really should have learned by now. And special thanks to Ernie for the kayak rental. My jon boat wouldn't have handled some of these spots nearly as well, especially on the river. There will be a package heading your way once I get back into the swing of things here.

#4 Sep-09-12 5:49AM

Ernie
Administrator

This is a great report and glad that Charlie enjoyed the fishing .  I would have loved to have joined you guys except that I am in  Saratoga Springs NY at a conference (as I type this).

#5 Sep-09-12 7:27AM

Charlie M
Website

Ernie. I am apologizing to you for not dragging your kayak through the car wash before returning it to you. It's a bit of a mess. I hope it doesn't smell nearly as bad as I did.

#6 Sep-09-12 9:38AM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

No surprise Paul got some good one in the reservoir.   I was out there Friday eve, the water level sure has dropped since the last time I was there.  About 2ft lower.   Another 10ft lower would be nice.

Last edited by T. (Sep-09-12 5:31PM)

#7 Sep-09-12 3:03PM

Ernie
Administrator

Charlie- no worries. I was feeling bad because it was already dirty....camouflage!

#8 Sep-09-12 7:45PM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

T- the water is down almost 3 feet. It really had me thinking about some of the spots I fish. Would they hold on the usual structure or was the depth now too different for that structure to me comfortable etc. Since I only had 3 hits, 2 of them coming off a newly found piece of structure it's hard to tell. That place will keep you guessing, that's for sure. Unfortunately it will be a few weeks before I can get out again to figure it out and I suspect the water temps will start to cool by then so i may never know.

Here's a few more pics from my other camera.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk211/pnajdzin/Choopy%20NOVA%20Trip/36fc2a5a0aee0ba0cb6c22d6b6799364.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk211/pnajdzin/Choopy%20NOVA%20Trip/c577f8490e245ed1d6ea41ffaa2d2685.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk211/pnajdzin/Choopy%20NOVA%20Trip/7ebba7c1c78deeec5ac8f507a8d6a97e.jpg

Board footer