Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-04-12 7:18AM

Houli
Northern Snakehead

Wading Algonkian?

Anyone waded this area?  I've got a couple hours to kill from 5:00-7:00 this evening and will be in that area.  I fished it from the bank before up near the riverfront cottages but never ventured in.

Thanks.

Ryan

#2 Sep-04-12 7:33AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Wading Algonkian?

Never have but it is shallow (and rocky) at the ramp. There are some holes as you move out from the ramp. I know because I had to pull my boat once many moons ago......

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Sep-04-12 8:08AM

Houli
Northern Snakehead

Thanks Ernie ..... is fishing better up river or down from the ramp?  What is the depth ..... could i make it to the islands (Tenfoot, Van Deventer, or Sharpshin)?

#4 Sep-04-12 8:50AM

Ernie
Administrator

I think it is shallow enough to make it to the island right in front of the ramp. HOWEVER- I do know that someone tried that once and drowned! I think they stepped in a hole and got their foot caught between the rocks.

So----I would not recommend taking that walk. I have never seen anyone out there other than in a boat, canoe or yak.

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 Sep-04-12 5:31PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

I would only wade upstream from the ramp.  Out from the ramp and below is the deeper area.   It would also depend on the river level and clarity.  Seeing the bottom clearly would be a must.   I launched from Lansdowne a few weekends ago expecting to water to be really low.  It wasn't.   As I was leaving a guy was heading down with the intention to wade and he asked me about it.  I advised him it was too high.  The rocky area visible on Google Earth wasn't visible.

#6 Sep-05-12 5:21AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

There is a big hole across and up river from the launch. i would only wade that area if you want to go swimming.
The good wading is below senca breaks, but a challange to get to.

smile

#7 Sep-05-12 7:59AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

There's other place to avoid jetboaters & jet skiers.

#8 Sep-05-12 1:44PM

Houli
Northern Snakehead

thanks for the info fellas ..... i gave it a shot for an hour from 5:30-6:30 yesterday.  waded downstream of the ramp and hugged the shoreline.  Lots of grass and a little deep but managed some small fish on the blue popper.  I was told the confluence of Sugarland Run and Potomac can hold decent fish .... maybe next time.

#9 Sep-07-12 12:08PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Best book on wading area's of the UP is switchfisher's books

Google him or come to a prsc meeting

Board footer