Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-05-12 4:16PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Finally Caught a Snakehead! 8-5

Me, Steve, Michael, Greg, and Tyler all met at Little Huntington early for half of a day.

I fished frogs the entire 5 hours we were out their except for 10 minutes for buzzbaits and 10 for a spinnerbait, because I was dedicated to catching a snakehead and frogs seem to be the go to.  For those of you who know me I have been trying to catch one for close to two years, hearing about how easy they are to catch and could not seem to get one but now I did! 

How big do you think he is?  (It was a little longer than my 30" ruler and in the pic he is right up against the boat, about a foot in front of me, as I could not risk holding him out to make him look bigger and risk losing him before a picture!)  He was very thick around, but I believe they all are.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm266/redskinsfan360/004-8.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm266/redskinsfan360/005-9.jpg

The explosion and fight this thing gave was incredible!  Even did it standing up, which showed me how stable the new yak is.  I had it on those orange fish grips while we tried to figure out how to kill it and where to put it as I never thought that part through after hunting for them many times.  As we did this after pictures it suddenly had a burst of energy and broke my fish grips right in half that I just got!  I know your not supposed to let them go, but on the bright side I did not have to clean the fish. (Next time I am bringing a net, a knife, a mallet, and a trashbag)

I also caught some bass and had some blowups. 

Everyone caught fish which is great. 

Nice seeing everyone and getting out on the water!

Last edited by redskinsfan360 (Aug-05-12 4:40PM)

#2 Aug-05-12 4:31PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Finally Caught a Snakehead! 8-5

Wow...great NSH!!

Congrats!!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Aug-05-12 4:41PM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

redskinsfan360 wrote:

Me, Steve, Michael, Greg, and Tyler all met at Little Huntington early for half of a day.

I fished frogs the entire 5 hours we were out their except for 10 minutes for buzzbaits and 10 for a spinnerbait, because I was dedicated to catching a snakehead and frogs seem to be the go to.  For those of you who know me I have been trying to catch one for close to two years, hearing about how easy they are to catch and could not seem to get one but now I did! 

How big do you think he is?  (It was a little longer than my 30" ruler and in the pic he is right up against the boat, about a foot in front of me, as I could not risk holding him out to make him look bigger and risk losing him before a picture!)  He was very thick around, but I believe they all are.

The explosion and fight this thing gave was incredible!  Even did it standing up, which showed me how stable the new yak is.  I had it on those orange fish grips while we tried to figure out how to kill it and where to put it as I never thought that part through after hunting for them many times.  As we did this after pictures it suddenly had a burst of energy and broke my fish grips right in half that I just got!  I know your not supposed to let them go, but on the bright side I did not have to clean the fish. (Next time I am bringing a net, a knife, a mallet, and a trashbag)

I also caught some bass and had some blowups. 

Everyone caught fish which is great. 

Nice seeing everyone and getting out on the water!

Congrats Charlie!! I'm glad you finally got one. I know how bad you you wanted one for the longest time

#4 Aug-05-12 4:55PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Now it's your turn to get one Khan!!!!  You put your time in to, your due...

#5 Aug-05-12 5:23PM

TyF
Northern Snakehead

Thats a nice fish!! im bummed  didnt actually get to see it!

I had one about the same size hit my super fluke but i set the hook to early because i saw him take it and got excited...

#6 Aug-05-12 6:04PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

WOW!  I didn't realize how big a fish that was when you were telling me about it.  Nice job!!!  Tyler and I had a great time exploring new water with you guys today.  We each got about 5-6 bass.  I was fishing some water that looked very snaky and didn't look like it would hold bass (shallow, no oxygen water).  I was casting a frog and had a blowup.  Thought it was a Snakehead, but it turned out to be my best bass of the day (about a 3-4 lber).  Surprised the heck out of me!  Will add a pic later.  I haven't downloaded it yet.

Fun time.  Lets do it again!

#7 Aug-05-12 6:50PM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

Just noticed you're still using that Gblank! What are you throwing on it?

#8 Aug-05-12 6:59PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Thai wrote:

Just noticed you're still using that Gblank! What are you throwing on it?

Yeah that rod has been good to me!  I throw my jigs, weighted creature baits, and large worms on it mainly.  Sometimes tubes and sometimes it can act as a second topwater rod since it is a heavy with braid if I want to have a spook or something on in addition to a frog.

p.s. thanks again!

Last edited by redskinsfan360 (Aug-05-12 6:59PM)

#9 Aug-05-12 7:00PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

GregF wrote:

Fun time.  Lets do it again!

For sure!

#10 Aug-05-12 8:06PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Once you get rush from Potomac Pike ... well LGmouth just seem pesky and get in the way..

Congrats, at 30 inches most are about 8- 10 lbs. They are spawning like crazy now and frustrate the heck out you sight fishing.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#11 Aug-06-12 8:42PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

It was pretty slow for me, a few bass, one channel cat on a spinnerbait and 1 missed blowup. Definitely a cool creek and I am sure it is full of snakeheads. When's the next trip?

#12 Aug-07-12 10:54AM

IL_DUCE

I grew up fishing this creek; My grandma's house backs up to it. Awesome place to fish- grassbeds, docks, fallen limbs . . .  and yes, full of snakeheads. Even home to a few Rockfish come fall time.

#13 Aug-08-12 7:09AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Nice fish!

Saw a few pig smallies 'jump out' of grips like that and the angler lost his shots.  Surpised at the sheer energy of the snake head to break a pair.

Curently own two pairs of the BPS elcheap boca-look-alikes, but same problem as your plastic vice grips. 

Even though they are expensive, I have boca's on my wish list.  If I ever chase snake heads, I'll get a pair.

(Next time I am bringing a net, a knife, a mallet, and a trashbag)

Maybe a bang stick they use on sharks too.

Last edited by hookup (Aug-08-12 7:10AM)

#14 Aug-08-12 7:31AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

The snakehead I caught a couple months ago spun and ripped his way out of those same kind of grips.  Luckily he didn't end up thrashing in the kayak!  I also just bought a pair of the el-cheapo boca-look-alikes.  They just don't seem like they are strong enough to hold a big fish.  I don't think I trust them.  But they were good enough for my daughter to lip Walleye on the Canada trip and that was the real reason I got them.

#15 Aug-08-12 8:28AM

Ernie
Administrator

hookup wrote:

Maybe a bang stick they use on sharks too.

A small baseball bat works....two whacks on top of the head, done!

Time to go fishin' again!

#16 Aug-09-12 3:18AM

Bob B
Northern Snakehead

Congrats! I never managed to get one of those when I was fishing back there.

Go Fish!

#17 Aug-13-12 7:10AM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

Way to go Charlie, that's a nice one.

Board footer