Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-17-12 1:31PM

bart2puck
Northern Snakehead

fishin with frogs

ok, so i have recently got into top water fishing with frogs.  I am having a lot of fish take my frog and i am unable to set the hook.  no matter how hard i tug, long/short i wait.  the frog goes under, line darts left/right.  give er the old heave hoe,  and frog comes out.  this has happened on different style frogs.

any advice?

#2 Jul-17-12 8:53PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: fishin with frogs

What type of line and rod are you using?

#3 Jul-18-12 2:35AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Like Spro frogs or soft body like zoom horney toads?

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#4 Jul-18-12 4:51AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

It's just part of frog fishing. I think as long as you wait till you feel the fish and not when you hear the hit to set the hook, there's not much more you can do.

#5 Jul-18-12 5:40AM

basscrusher
Northern Snakehead

things you can do to level the playing field...

1) Use a powerful rod.  Something really stiff, at least medium-heavy in power.
2) Use BRAIDED line.  No exceptions.  Anything else for froggin' is folly.  Depending on thickness of cover, you can use anywhere from 20 to 80 lb.  I personally tend to use 20 and 30 lb, and don't have breakoff issues, even in Potomac river grass mats.  the pros and their articles tend to overhype the need for really big lines.
3) Use the right hook.  Several companies like Zoom and Stanley make frog-specific hooks (corkscrew style) for their baits.  The big hook companies do the same.
4) Use the right hookset.  Once you see the blow-up, wait until you feel the weight of the fish, then set the hook by yanking your rod as if you want to jerk the fish completely off this planet.  even then you'll still lose some.  It's part of the game.

As Dan said, knowing what gear you're using might help pinpoint the problem.

#6 Jul-18-12 8:48AM

bart2puck
Northern Snakehead

using an ugly stick 6' medium rod, with 10lb braided line.

using this type of frog

http://www.lg-outdoors.com/proddetail.a … MS_SSF-125

awesome info guys.   Basscrusher,  i hurt my shoulder last night pulling so hard smile

#7 Jul-18-12 12:02PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

6' medium ugly stick is probably the culprit. A longer and beefier rod will make hooksets a lot easier. I fish frogs 90% of the time I'm out fishing in the summer. I use a 7'8" Heavy rod and 40 or 50lb braid. I very rarely miss fish. When they hit, count to two mississippi while slowing reeling down on the slack and then slam back with a hookset.

#8 Jul-18-12 12:08PM

bart2puck
Northern Snakehead

would u suggest a heavier/bigger rod for all types of fishing?  to be honest, i fish a ton, and hear stories of 'we caught 35' yesterday.  if i catch 3 i had a great day.

#9 Jul-18-12 12:31PM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Dominion Dan wrote:

6' medium ugly stick is probably the culprit. A longer and beefier rod will make hooksets a lot easier. I fish frogs 90% of the time I'm out fishing in the summer. I use a 7'8" Heavy rod and 40 or 50lb braid. I very rarely miss fish. When they hit, count to two mississippi while slowing reeling down on the slack and then slam back with a hookset.

when they hit or when you feel them?

#10 Jul-18-12 1:02PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

bart2puck wrote:

would u suggest a heavier/bigger rod for all types of fishing?  to be honest, i fish a ton, and hear stories of 'we caught 35' yesterday.  if i catch 3 i had a great day.

I like 7 foot rods but a 6' medium ugly stick would be fine for topwaters with treble hooks, most crankbaits, buzzbaits, even spinnerbaits depending on the tip flex. For bottom baits like jigs and soft plastics, I would probably use a longer and stouter rod.

I always relate it to golf. In golf there are a bunch of types of clubs used for different situations and settings. Fishing is the same way. If space and money allows, it's nice to be able to fit a rod/reel/line to a number of possible fishing scenarios to give you the best possible chances.

#11 Jul-18-12 1:03PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

AndrewDo124 wrote:

Dominion Dan wrote:

when they hit or when you feel them?

On the splash. I count one mississippi, two mississi....then set and try not to fall out of the boat.

#12 Jul-18-12 2:52PM

basscrusher
Northern Snakehead

Dan is spot on with his rod assessment...an Ugly Stick is WAY too limber for frog fishing.  Just to give an example, my frogs rods include a 6'8" Shimano Cumara MH/extra Fast, a 6'6" Loomis IMX MH/Fast, a Falcon Cara 6'10" MH/Fast, and a St Croix Premier 7' Heavy/Fast.  All of those rods are super stiff, esp. the St Croix, which is a broomstick.  All of those are paired with either Shimano Curados or Citicas (6.2:1 ratio or higher) with braid of 20-50 lb, depending on which reel I'm using. 

just as important as the rod's power rating is the action, or taper.  For froggin' you want fast or extra fast taper...essentially this means the rod doesn't flex as far down into the blank.  Translation = stiffer rod.  For comparison, an Ugly stick is probably a slow or moderate-slow taper.  More suitable for treble hook baits or live bait.

#13 Jul-18-12 2:58PM

basscrusher
Northern Snakehead

One more thing...I just looked at the frog you're using.  For hollow-body, floating frogs, make sure the hooks are sharp.  the expensive brands (like spro, etc.)use premium hooks, but some of the retailers' house brands use less than stellar hooks, which may need a quick sharpening.  On a side note...today's premium hooks (Gamakatsu, Owner, Mustad, etc) should NEVER need to be sharpened out of the package.  Old-timers will say otherwise, but they chemically sharpen hooks these days.  Sharpening actually whittles down the point TOO much and weakens the point. 

Another thing with hollow body frogs...make sure a hook point isn't stuck in the plastic.  This can happen very easily on missed hooksets, and diminishes your penetration capabilities on subsequent hooksets.

#14 Jul-18-12 5:41PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Very good advice guys...

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#15 Jul-18-12 6:25PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

I use my 6'6" medium heavy Ugly Stick with 30lb braid/20lb fluoro leader for throwing frogs.

#16 Jul-18-12 6:50PM

basscrusher
Northern Snakehead

Flouro leader for a frog?  Flouro sinks...frogs are supposed to float.  That dampens the action of the lure.

#17 Jul-18-12 7:42PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

I tie straight to the frog with braid.

#18 Jul-18-12 7:51PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Try not looking at your frog as you fish it, then when you feel it set the hook.  This helped me 2 summers ago when I was having the same problem with topwaters.  After a little time it will be second nature so you can watch the awesome blowups again!

#19 Jul-19-12 3:52AM

bart2puck
Northern Snakehead

well. it happened.  yesterday landed a nice 3# fish.  using basscrusher's suggestion "set the hook by yanking your rod as if you want to jerk the fish completely off this planet. "  unfortunately, my line broke as i was getting the lure out of his mouth, and he dropped into water with my frog.  off to dick's i go.......

ton of good information in this post. thanks again. keep the ideas comin...

#20 Jul-19-12 9:28AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

your 10# braid broke?

i always tie braid straight to the lure. When you're fishing frogs, there's so much stuff the fish can get wrapped in, i'd like as few weak points in my line as possible. braid, polamar knot, big hook sets.

#21 Jul-19-12 10:25AM

bart2puck
Northern Snakehead

yea. not sure what happened. i had fish lipped. he flopped, dropped him, hit the water, and my rig was gone....oh well, at least i got the skunk of the frogs.  back today for more adventures.

ive often wondered about using swivels/clips (whatever you call him),  i change lures a ton, so to me, re-tying knots take forever.  any thoughts on pros/cons of swivels, other then the obvious (ease of changing lures, weak point)...?

#22 Jul-19-12 12:59PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

basscrusher wrote:

Flouro leader for a frog?  Flouro sinks...frogs are supposed to float.  That dampens the action of the lure.

5ft of fluoro isn't going to sink a frog or affect it's action, especially when it's on top of matted grass or lily pads.   I use this setup far more for other baits. I rarely use frogs.

bart2puck wrote:

ive often wondered about using swivels/clips (whatever you call him),  i change lures a ton, so to me, re-tying knots take forever.  any thoughts on pros/cons of swivels, other then the obvious (ease of changing lures, weak point)...?

I use duo lock snaps and locking snap swivels all the time.   Some baits actually perform better with them.  Seems my bitsy minnow has better action with the duo lock.

#23 Jul-19-12 1:20PM

basscrusher
Northern Snakehead

I say no to snap swivels/clips except in the case of crankbaits.  Especially with braid, you can pull them apart using vicious hooksets or horsing them through super-thick cover...both of which are the norm for me. 

I'm also not a fan of leaders.  I think they are the most overrated thing in bass fishing.  I tie braid straight to my lure...even in clear water.  Some of the clearest water in VA is in Lake Anna, and last spring I boated 30+ bass in a Fishers of Men tournament using a shaky head on braid with no leader at all.  Visibility was over 5 feet.

If others prefer leaders, then by all means go for it.  But I would never use them in heavy cover.  There's no point...fish can't see your line in thick grass anyway.  Oh, and there's the dirty little secret line companies don't want you to know....Flourocarbon is NOT invisible like they say.  There's an old issue of Sportfishing Magazine that settled that debate about 5 years ago, but few bass fishermen read it.   Flouro is good around rocky cover, and does have low visibility in clear water, but I generally fish stained water and thick grass, so it's not for me.  Even when I go smallmouth fishing, I generally just use plain mono.  Flouro is best for sinking baits.  Since it sinks, it keeps a direct line to your lure, transmitting bites more effectively.

Summary: use snaps with crankbaits, flouro with Senkos, and heavy braid with frogs.

#24 Jul-19-12 4:49PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

T. wrote:

basscrusher wrote:

5ft of fluoro isn't going to sink a frog or affect it's action, especially when it's on top of matted grass or lily pads.   I use this setup far more for other baits. I rarely use frogs.

Maybe not on top of grass, but in the open water it definitely does make a difference. I used to try to get away with using a topwater walking bait like a spook on my spinnerbait rod. I had fluoro on that setup and I could not get the bait to walk properly after I let it pause. I finally switched that rod to mono when I started using a popper and the fluoro would not allow the bait to sit properly in the water. Anytime I would pause it, the fluoro would sink down and angle the mouth of the bait downward and it became difficult to get it to sit on top of the water.

#25 Jul-20-12 7:04AM

bart2puck
Northern Snakehead

is line visibility in open water a huge issue?  i have never used leaders, but i may give it a try.

T.  do you find those duo snaps stronger then regular old swivels?

Board footer