Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-27-11 1:58PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

Occoquan 5/27

Got on the water about 545 at the foot bridge.  There was one guy fishing on the rocks there.  He caught a striper right after I launched.  He kept it.  It looked too small to me.   I headed up towards where the pipes cross and lodged the kayak against some rocks.  I started with a white spinner bait and it was only a few casts before I had something big on.  I decided against letting it pull the yak and I underestimated it with regards to drag.  It ended up breaking off.  About this time four guys in a boat were coming upstream.  They pulled up on the other side and started fishing the rapids area. I only saw one of them catch a fish the entire day.   I started throwing a zara spook to see if I could get a topwater bite.   A few casts of that and I had a nice LMB hit it just 15ft from me, but it didn't stay on. 

I tried a bucktail, swimbait and more spinnerbait for awhile but nothing was taking it.  So I decided to go back to the truck to get the perch I forgot to bring.  I went back to the same spot and rigged a white perch on my heavy duty rod with 55lb braid.  It was only minutes before it was getting tapped.  I let it run with it a bit and then set the hook.  It was on and I was getting dragged all over the place.  I had no idea what it was, but it sure was big!  Eventually I got to the other side of the river so I could get out and deal with it more easily.  No way I wanted this thing in my lap.

29"  17lb
Compared to my just about 1y/o nephew
http://www.fileupyours.com/files/307888/17lber.JPG

This was the biggest largemouth I caught.  15" I think.
http://www.fileupyours.com/files/307888/lmb2lb.JPG

I caught a total of 4 LMB, all on senkos and each was smaller than the previous.

I had a total of four cats too.  The others were 3, 5 and 6lbs.  I was out there until 1045 and the LMB and cats were still biting.  Plently of fish breaking the surface, just not the stripers I think.  I did see a gar though.  The flow was noticeably less than last weekend.

#2 May-27-11 2:06PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Occoquan 5/27

Nice kitty.  Khan was supposed to be out there today too.  Maybe he will post as well.

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#3 May-27-11 3:56PM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

Nice cat T! That thing is FAT!! Was it a Channel or Blue cat? I could not tell from the picture.

Had it not been for a pipe leak inside my house last night, I would of been out there with you. Had to settle with waiting for the plumber all morning.

I think I may head out there on Sunday morning for some catfishing using cat shad. I hear stories of monster cats hanging around power plants.

#4 May-27-11 4:19PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

Channel cat as best as I can tell.

#5 May-27-11 4:28PM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

I want to hook onto one of those monster Flatheads..the state record is from Occoquan:

Occoquan State Record

Species Size Angler Date
Flathead Catfish
66 lbs 4 oz
Mike Willems 5/6/1994

#6 May-27-11 4:38PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Looks like a Blue cat in the pic.  Does not have any channel cat markings on it.

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#7 May-27-11 5:24PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

From my pics I counted the anal fin rays, not enough for a blue.  And the upper jaw doesn't protrude past the lower.

Last edited by T. (May-27-11 5:25PM)

#8 May-27-11 6:23PM

Ernie
Administrator

Agree...not a blue cat.

Nice report T.!

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer