Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Mar-29-11 6:58PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Fly Fishing

My son just told me he wants to start fly fishing.  I have no idea how to fly fish.  Looking at Bass Pro they have a White River Fly Shop® Hobbs Creek™ Large Arbor Disc Drag Fly Outfits ( http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Fly- … 8/-1218223 ) for $100.  Seems pretty highly rated and a decent price and quality.  But I am not sure what size to get for fishing in this area.  Tyler suggested the 6wt/8'6" rod.  Seems OK to me, but I really don't know.  Any ideas or suggestions?

Second question:  what kind of line and backing? Basic flies for this area for bass, sunnies, smallies, carp, or trout?

Third question.  I don't know a thing about fly fishing.  Anybody have an hour or 2 to teach Tyler and I about the basics? 

I also have a 50 yr old virgin (never been fished) fly rod my father gave me (9ft long but no other information).  Never been fished and no reel.  Should I fish it?  Is it potentially worth a lot of money?  Or, just put it up on the wall as memorabilia?

Thanks for the help.

Greg

#2 Mar-29-11 7:21PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Fly Fishing

Greg....I am not an expert by any means but experienced enough to be dangerous. Let's set up a time....I am more than willing to spend a couple of hours with you guys. Also, I have a friend who is expert on old fly rods. Let me have a look at it and I will contact him.

I will be around Thurdsy PM.

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Mar-29-11 8:19PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Re: Fly Fishing

Thanks for the offer Ernie!  I will definitely take you up on it.  Tyler has a BRHS Lacrosse game Thursday evening and a Mad Dogs Inline tourny at the Box this weekend (not sure of schedule).  I will email you to let you know schedule this weekend and see if we can hook up for a bit.   I will bring the fly rod.

Board footer