i am looking at them

i think you kayak guys use them
I have an 8' pelican mini pontoon basser
what units do we like, not like?

#2 Mar-25-11 10:36PM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

Re: Depth finders

Kayaks are a very good platform. Gets you there, quiet and effective. Next best thing to wade fishing. Started with a Cobra Explorer. Still have it and use it on sweet waters. Particularly around River Bend. For the bay, I got an Ocean Kayak Drifter. Stable but not very fast or agile. Have since switched to a Hobie Revolution. LOVE IT! Big difference peddling versus paddling. The point is fishing so... hands free maneuvering is a big plus. Hobie's Outback model is more like the OK Drifter... very, very stable.

Cobra Explorer Kayak
Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Co-Founder
www.cbkainc.com

#3 Mar-26-11 3:19AM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

do you have a sonar unit on it john?

i have friends with rangers/skeeters, who  have nice units on their boats, but dont seem to pay much attention to them

#4 Mar-26-11 5:12AM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Jeff,  I'm guessing you're staying in ponds and small waters where you don't need a gps. The humminbird 383 that came with my yak is a combo unit. I like color, but you can save about $100 by choosing the black & white display.

The depth only comparisons to mine are the 325 (b/w) and the 345c. (color) The 345 even comes in a portable version complete with suction cup transducer, battery and charger in a case. Portable might be your best choice because of the transducer.

I hear a lot of the kayakers talking about Humminbird's PiranhaMAX. This unit looks to be the least costly and also comes in portable versions. Obviously there are a lot of choices all the way up to side scanning units for nearly $2k I'll have one of these on my boat some day, of course I'll have to steal it from Santa's sack when he's not looking. Hope this helps a little,  Bob

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#5 Mar-26-11 5:30AM

mudkart
Northern Snakehead

For the craft you describe, H'bird 570 portable.  http://store.humminbird.com/products/356211

Battery is in the case, transducer is suction cup-mounted (and no, the one I have has never fallen off).  Screen size and resolution are the best in this range. It can be mounted permanently if you want.  As it is, no drilling, screwing, etc are required.

Last edited by mudkart (Mar-26-11 5:32AM)

#6 Mar-26-11 8:24AM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

Yes, I do. Originally had a Humminbird PiranhaMAX on my Drifter. It was ok. For the Hobie, Santa (my wife) got me a Humminbird 798ci SI. I wanted a larger screen size over the usual models most use on a kayak. This one also has side imaging. I haven't used it yet this season but looking forward to it!

Cobra Explorer Kayak
www.cbkainc.com

#7 Mar-26-11 8:25PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

wow john
does your wife have any sisters?

on GPS:
never used one
when you buy a unit, are you automatically connected, or do you have to subscribe to a provider to be functional?

#8 Mar-27-11 7:11AM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

Haha! She does but are way older. They have grandkids! My wife came late in their mom's life. In fact, my wife's niece is only a year younger!

GPS is supplied by the government and freely available. The Air Force maintains the system.

http://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/

Cobra Explorer Kayak
www.cbkainc.com

#9 Mar-27-11 9:12AM

Ernie
Administrator

Jeff- if you get a GPS/FF combo, you will be in heaven....especially at the bigger bodies of water. You will be able to mark the peaks and valleys of that water.....

Color is very nice but may be overrated for smaller water.

Time to go fishin' again!

#10 Mar-27-11 9:49AM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Pacemaker wrote:

Jeff- if you get a GPS/FF combo, you will be in heaven....especially at the bigger bodies of water. You will be able to mark the peaks and valleys of that water.....

Color is very nice but may be overrated for smaller water.

Put an 8' boat on big water he might make heaven without the GPS

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

Board footer