Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Feb-25-11 6:54PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Dry on my terms

So I put all the good info from some other sites together and went to see Dave at Annapolis Canoe and Kayak. He didn't have a jumbo (2xl) dry suit to try, but did have a kokatat dry top. What the heck, armed with the recent water test video and posts from a few here and there I figured a dry top and a good pair of waders. OK so here I go trying to squeeze my fat head thru a virgin latex neck gasket. By the time I finally got it between my forehead and eyes I was thinking about a fair price to put on the Cobra. After some coaching from Dave and words of encouragement from my wife I had the neck gasket firmly wrapped around my neck. I can vouch for it being waterproof. I had a hell of a time even getting a breath thru it. Not for me.... Of course getting it back off was even worse because by now my face was beet red and all the veins above my Adams apple were bulging don't know the proper way to remove a dry top. What finally worked for me was pulling it inside out above my head combined with pure panic.

In all fairness to Dave and Kokatat it was brand new virgin latex. There are lines marked on the neck opening for trimming to a larger size, and Dave suggested stretching the opening over a football or orange traffic cone (in my case a basketball).

There was a possible solution. Dave said he would call Kokatat for a sizing suit, the T3 Supernova angler paddling suit. Comes standard with integral socks, a relief zipper with a flap over the zipper to keep the fishies from sliming it, and best of all the only latex to fight was around the wrists. The neck opening is neoprene. Still tight enough to keep the river out, but much easier to push this melon thru.

Long story short, suit arrived in Annapolis yesterday and it's hanging in my closet tonight. Thanks to both Daves at Annapolis Canoe and Kayak, great guys to do business with.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#2 Feb-25-11 7:01PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Dry on my terms

Great story.....I am still wiping away the tears!

Now you are ready to hang with the young guys!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Feb-26-11 10:08AM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Let me know Bob!

#4 Feb-26-11 11:06AM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

thanks 4that post!
as a fellow big-head, i empathize completely

i am still laughing
the best moments in life are free
has you nose descended back down from the top of your scalp yet?

Board footer