Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Feb-15-11 7:00AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

Cold Water Smallmouth

With things starting to get a bit "warmer", when do you start trying to catch stream smallies again? Yes, cabin fever is getting to me and one day in the 60's just about put me over the edge.  My last trip out was new years day and there was plenty of ice in the creeks and I got skunked.

#2 Feb-21-11 2:11PM

jaydee

Re: Cold Water Smallmouth

I've not had any luck before April, at least in Goose Creek, using ultralight spinning gear. I'm not sure if that's 'stream enough', though, or if you mean mountain streams.  Out of curiosity, do you know how smallmouth in smaller rivers and streams winter?  I've wondered whether they hunker down where they can or move up/downstream.

#3 Feb-22-11 6:58AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

jaydee wrote:

Out of curiosity, do you know how smallmouth in smaller rivers and streams winter?  I've wondered whether they hunker down where they can or move up/downstream.

It think they head for deep water where available. I scratch my head on this one since unless they pull decide to act like a salmon and jump rapids since they seem to disappear from some areas they hold in during the spring/summerf/fall that doesn't have deep sections.

#4 Feb-22-11 5:05PM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

in general, yes deeper water, but its gotta be more than just deeper,  they need cover where they can hunker down during the high water periods without expending a lot of energy as their metabolism slows way down in the cold water. 

once you find them, patience is key and they generally aren't going to be very active in water under 45 degrees.  slow moving bottom lures are go tos for me, tubes, jigs, etc....i

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

Board footer