Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan-21-11 5:47AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

The herring conundrum

So PRFC has a moritorium on herring and alewife. That means that you can not poccess this bait while on the main stem of the Potomac. But if you are inside one of the PRFC markers you are now goverened by VA or MD and it is legal.

So it becomes an issue if you use them for bait.

MD has a season and is closed June to Dec but not a moritorium.

In VA is not listed.. or well hidden.

So like the white perch another bait source is removed from main stem of the Potomac.

They need to work as one since the three enity's share a common river.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#2 Jan-23-11 8:54AM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Re: The herring conundrum

Captain Mike, what do you think about this?

http://www.prfc.state.va.us/commercial/ … 202011.pdf

No limit for commercial harvest on size, 50lbs a day. Closed for rec use, but open to commercial?

#3 Jan-23-11 10:33AM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Michael, don't get started on the inequities between commercial and recreational.  I quit reading the PRFC laws regarding the two when I got to flounder. It's no wonder it's hard to get a legal fish to the boat, darned few will ever survive to grow that big.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#4 Jan-23-11 4:39PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

The 50lbs is considered a by catch in the pound nets.. so they want them to be profited.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#5 Jan-24-11 8:53AM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

It's unfortunate that the PRFC still governs recreational fishing on the Potomac, as it seems most of their interests lie in the commercial end of the fishery.

I would venture a guess that the current overall economic impact of recreational fishing on the Potomac far exceeds that of its commercial uses. Of course, the task of representing interests of all recreational users to the governments in a position to change these laws is far more difficult than that of the commercial fishing industry.

What it comes down to is a majority of the recreational fisherman out there probably don't know or don't care what the PRFC does. They buy their licenses from the states and go out and fish and don't worry about the rest of it. It ends up being guys like Capt Mike vs. the commercial guys and that's it.

Perhaps if there was a way to unite the common interests of ALL recreational users, something might be done about the situation.

#6 Jan-24-11 8:59AM

Ernie
Administrator

There are several recs (who we know) on sevral PRFC committes etc. They are outnumbered though.....

Time to go fishin' again!

#7 Jan-24-11 9:15AM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Bob, no kidding. The gill nets get me fired up, seems like everytime we find a school, the next day there is a net there.

I'm hoping to find some flounder this season, it's going to be tough. Anyone ever caught some of those other species in the Potomac? Bsb, tog, ect? I know weakies & specs used to be abundant but has anyone caught any there recently?

Board footer