Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan-04-11 8:43PM

kanvery

Rod and Reel Repair Kit

Hey guys I'm taking a trip overseas soon and might be a LOOOOONNGGG ways away from the nearest tackle shop. I don't build rods or repair reels but I was hoping the experts could chime in on what they would take with them as an emergency essential repair kit. Hopefully something small and semi-light that I could just shove in my pack. Thanks in advance!

#2 Jan-05-11 5:34PM

jjsports

Re: Rod and Reel Repair Kit

I don't know where you are going but the "simple hand line " may be the ticket . It's very low tech but
very reliable.

#3 Jan-05-11 5:59PM

Ernie
Administrator

kanvery wrote:

an emergency essential repair kit.

A few rod tips and some wax and a lighter would be my only suggestion.

jjsports wrote:

I don't know where you are going but the "simple hand line " may be the ticket . It's very low tech but very reliable.

Ha! I have a real  "Cuban yo yo" I can lend...found it floating in the Potomac above Chain Bridge a few years back.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/001-2.jpg

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Jan-05-11 6:38PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

I'd add a leather man and lube to that list. Should be all set! That 5500 SSG should be well greased and lubed. It's easy to service though should you get some sand in there. Please take a ton of pictures! I'll try my best to meet you down there the last week...

#5 Jan-05-11 7:30PM

kanvery

jjsports wrote:

I don't know where you are going but the "simple hand line " may be the ticket . It's very low tech but
very reliable.

HAHA I'll be in Nicaragua and I'm bringing 4 or 5 rods with me so the hand line isn't quite out of the question but I should have more than enough hardware. The rod tips, glue, and leatherman seem like the good bets. Michael, I'll be taking plenty of pictures and I'll give you my number as soon as I get one of their local SIM cards. Hope to see you(or anyone else that wants to fish an exotic locale) down there!

#6 Jan-05-11 9:15PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Something like this?
http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/7_-XkPxBnNwNtisOZxEegQtqdU7-ZlcL2ojdSmjR9ORdsFlxNQRfADKhp9cVd3ZWyYYR2NelfNag_HCZbTl8zF_MJW-Dgh1sUquqxQv9P_eK9w6t4GPxbOdIf9pZjKlJAPqpw7ClSn9ZznjRy1ZezYUtcIw

#7 Jan-06-11 4:19AM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Don't want to rain on a parade, but I've seen several reports of central american countries TSA or customs demanding that the line be stripped from reels before allowing them to enter. Don't know how you'd go about contacting them to check, but it might save a lot of bux if you're spooled with braid. Have a great trip.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#8 Jan-06-11 7:44AM

kanvery

Osprey wrote:

Don't want to rain on a parade, but I've seen several reports of central american countries TSA or customs demanding that the line be stripped from reels before allowing them to enter.

Thanks for the heads up! Yea I've heard and seen this which is sad because last year it wasn't a problem. They are referring to carry-ons though. Hooks, knives, spooled reels, and spear guns all have to be checked. Now I have to check all of my reels which I'm never fond of. I like to have a rod and reel setup that stays with me throughout the trip that way if I land and my luggage was lost that I can still manage to fish. It's weird though, maybe I'm not thinking hard enough, but I really can't see anything that can be done with fishing line that isn't a threat from a shoe lace, a tie, a belt, or bra strap.

#9 Jan-06-11 4:01PM

jjsports

Can you overseas ship your tackle prior to your arrival . If so you may be able to avoid the luggage
hassle . I've preshipped before in pvc tubes never had a problem , however I was always at a resort.
It may even work out to be less expensive with airline fees out of control.

#10 Jan-06-11 6:33PM

kanvery

I did think about that but I'm not sure exactly where I'll be at any given time and in this case it'll probably be safer just to check them with my bags. I did do that with 5 or 6 full size surf and inshore rods for a florida trip and it was MUCH MUCH cheaper and easier that way than traveling with a 80" rod tube. Thanks for everyones help I think a I've got it all figured out except for the guides. The top guide is an easy fix but if I have to re wrap a guide further down the rod is it going to be possible? Maybe a job for duck tape?

Board footer