Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan-02-11 2:55PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

scent

i would be interested to hear if any members find them usefull?

i have used them. and honestly have never been able to detect any benefit.

#2 Jan-02-11 3:19PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: scent

I do not think that it gets me bit anymore often.  However, I do think that the fish will hold on to the bait longer if you didnt set the hook fast enough (from trial and error).

#3 Jan-02-11 3:23PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

I don't know if it helps you catch more fish because they like the smell or taste, but some of them definitely help your bait slide through grass more easily.

#4 Jan-02-11 4:32PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

The big time striper jiggers in the bay swear by garlic flavored "Spike it" dye on their plastics. It's been my experience that table shrimp that spends the night in a bag with minced garlic will catch croakers at least 2 - 1 over plain shrimp. Finally, I can't use "Smelly Jelly" scent on my crappie jigs when fishing the tidal basin in april/may. The chanel cats won't stay off the tiny jigs. Can't lift a cat that high on 4# test so I lose a lot of jigs. I guess some works and some just attracts us fishers

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#5 Jan-02-11 5:17PM

Ernie
Administrator

Good discussion and great responses....I use scent when I remember to bring it. I do like the Spike It Garlic chartreuse dye.

I will assume that scent makes a difference, more on some fish than others but sound (vibration) makes a difference as well.

We catch fish using soft plastic, hard plastic, metal, you name it.......in the bay, when the stripers and/or blues are on a blitz....they will hit anything!

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer