Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Dec-27-10 9:41AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Fly Rod Purchase - Ideas Sought

I am nearing a decision to purchase a fly rod outfit for 2011 and beyond. After my trip to Montana and ahead of a trip down to the keys to fly fish for bonefish, I figure it is worthwhile to invest in something for myself.

I am seeking fairly basic specs: 8ft, 4 piece, 4-6 wt rod.

I hear that the rod is more important than the reel since you mostly hand strip, etc.

I have heard good things about Sage rods and Orvis reels, but welcome any and all suggestions. While I understand price is an important parameter, I welcome all thoughts.

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#2 Dec-27-10 11:25AM

kanvery

Re: Fly Rod Purchase - Ideas Sought

This is my first post but I just wanted to give you my input. I have no idea why I love fly fishing so much. I often end up looking like I'm covered in silly string from a messed up cast. BUT if you are going to the keys for bonefish I would definitely recommend an 8wt with a fast action to punch through the wind. Really, I like my 8wt for everything from largemouth to stripers and bones. It's a great all around setup that travels well and is pretty versatile. I'm sure someone else will chime in and give you a more professional opinion.

And! I would check out TFO rods. They're possibly the best bang for your buck that I can think of.

Last edited by kanvery (Dec-27-10 11:28AM)

#3 Dec-27-10 12:05PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Fly Rod Purchase - Ideas Sought

kanvery wrote:

This is my first post

Welcome!

kanvery wrote:

I often end up looking like I'm covered in silly string from a messed up cast

Been there....often!

kanvery wrote:

I would check out TFO rods. They're possibly the best bang for your buck that I can think of.

Totally agree! I have an 8 wt (Axiom) that Patrick can look over.

The Sage rods are top notch as are Loomis and Orvis. Albright has some nice deals..... http://www.albrightflyfishing.com/index.html

From what I have heard, a boney will put you on the reel so make sure you get a decent reel.

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer