Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Oct-26-10 5:01AM

Ernie
Administrator

Today marks 50 years......

....that I have been in the United States.

On October 26, 1960, my Dad made the decision to take us out Cuba and start a new life in the US. I am VERY thankful that he had the guts to leave it all behind. I am also VERY thankful for what we have in this country.

May God Bless America!

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Oct-26-10 5:26AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Today marks 50 years......

Great story.
We are glad he took the risk also.
If you are healthy and willing to work hard there is no better place to be

smile

#3 Oct-26-10 11:52AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

I'm sure worth every minute to you and............nice milestone!  Sort of reminds me of the story of the Casales' leaving Italy (in a hurry) for the US nearly 100 years ago.

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#4 Oct-26-10 3:38PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Happy 50th! It's unfortunate that there was/is a situation that forced your family to leave but I for one am glad you ended up in such an awesome place.

#5 Oct-26-10 4:21PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

That's awesome Ernie! My mother came over a year or two after you all did with her two sisters, mother, and father. They lived in Miami for a few years and then moved to West Virginia because he was a doctor and there was a need for Doctor's there at that time. My mother had a very interesting and non-traditional cuban childhood growing up out there.

#6 Oct-26-10 4:42PM

Ernie
Administrator

Redfish12 wrote:

then moved to West Virginia because he was a doctor and there was a need for Doctor's there at that time. My mother had a very interesting and non-traditional Cuban childhood growing up out there.

How cool...a West Virginia Cuban!  We came to NoVA 'cause my uncle was a doctor (GA Tech) and was able to practice up here right away. My dad was a lawyer (PhD) so he had to go back to school to earn his degree.

What is your mom's maiden name?

#7 Oct-26-10 5:10PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Pacemaker wrote:

Redfish12 wrote:

then moved to West Virginia because he was a doctor and there was a need for Doctor's there at that time. My mother had a very interesting and non-traditional Cuban childhood growing up out there.

How cool...a West Virginia Cuban!  We came to NoVA 'cause my uncle was a doctor (GA Tech) and was able to practice up here right away. My dad was a lawyer (PhD) so he had to go back to school to earn his degree.

What is your mom's maiden name?

Just a guess, it wasn't O'Connell

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#8 Oct-26-10 5:19PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Haha not O'Connell! Where you been Bob? Catching anything lately? I've given up on getting down to 301 but still finding some fish from shore every now and then. I'll post a picture at some point.

Mother's name was Iturriaga, father was a plastic surgeon in Havana and then went family medicine/general practice after some work. He died early of a heart attack when my mother was 19. My grandmother never made the adjustment to the US and the change in lifestyle, but she became a citizen in her 60s. Their families came from Spain, Utset and Iturriaga.

Last edited by Redfish12 (Oct-26-10 5:59PM)

#9 Oct-26-10 5:58PM

Ernie
Administrator

My uncle (Alberto Borges) was a plastic surgeon in Havana as well....small world!

#10 Oct-26-10 6:00PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Small world indeed!

#11 Oct-28-10 7:53AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Bienvenidos a los Estados Unidos hasta cinquenta anos pasados!

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#12 Oct-28-10 8:18AM

Ernie
Administrator

CozUF2001 wrote:

Bienvenidos a los Estados Unidos hasta cinquenta anos pasados!

Gracias...........

#13 Oct-29-10 7:03AM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

Pacemaker wrote:

....that I have been in the United States.

On October 26, 1960, my Dad made the decision to take us out Cuba and start a new life in the US. I am VERY thankful that he had the guts to leave it all behind. I am also VERY thankful for what we have in this country.

May God Bless America!

Ernie, We've yet to meet but just wanted to say congratulations. Your family's story, and Michael's, are part of what makes this country great. The whole "melting pot" experiment has been a huge success. As another mentioned, if you're willing to work hard there is no better place. Let me just add... on earth.

In contrast to your families' relatively recent arrivals my dad's parents came through Ellis Island in the 1900's. On the other hand, my mom can trace her ancestors to pre-Colonial times back to the 1600's! In fact, I have relatives that were involved with the Liberty Bell and the American War of Independence. My mom is an active member of Daughter's of the American Revolution. It is very cool tracing this information. I am not bashful saying that I am proud to be an American and also VERY thankful for what we have here.

Your dad was very brave. And pretty smart, too! Again, congratulations, continued good fortune and tight lines always!

Cobra Explorer Kayak
Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Co-Founder
www.cbkainc.com

Board footer