Northern Snakehead

Maryland Kayak Fishing Meet & Greet

What: Maryland Kayak Fishing's 1st Official Monthly Meet & Greet
Where: Hemingway's, Stevensville, MD
When: Saturday, August 14th
Why: Kayak Fishing & Camaraderie
Fishing Time: 6AM - 11AM
High Tide at Sandy Point: 9:01AM

I spoke to Tim at Hemingway's and he suggested Lola's for our gathering as it is less formal than Hemingway's itself. However, if we decide to change it's no problem. Tim said we could take the picnic tables on the grass near the water for our "weigh-in". They don't take reservations at Lola's but if I call later in the week with a head count they will note it in their book. We'll be there before they open so it shouldn't be an issue.

The consensus is for a tackle grab bag prize for the largest fish. Everyone should bring a new lure or other tackle of $5 - $10 in value. Whoever gets the biggest fish gets the tackle.

Meet at the picnic tables over by Lola's by 11:30AM. Determine the biggest fish. Award the tackle to the winner over beers and lunch.

So, if you're planning to be there please respond to this thread so I can get a head count and alert Hemingway's. Tim said they appreciate the heads up.

Tight Lines!
John

Cobra Explorer Kayak
Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Co-Founder
www.cbkainc.com

#2 Aug-14-10 6:22PM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

Re: Maryland Kayak Fishing Meet & Greet

We had an awesome turnout. 17 or 18 guys! Good weather, good company and some pretty darn good fishing! A couple blitzes of small blues and rock. I got one blue about 18" that did some pulling on the light rod. The guys live lining spot did the best, of course. The pool winner went 33". And that was his first rock! Talk about beginners luck! A couple other fish close to 30". One was badly covered in sores. Ugh!

Don't see how to post pics on this site. You can see a few on Tidalfish's Kayak fisherman forum or at snaggedline .com.

Beers, burgers, calamari and good conversation afterwards. Thanks to the folks at Hemingways for their hospitality. We'll be back again!

Cobra Explorer Kayak
www.cbkainc.com

#3 Aug-15-10 8:49AM

Ernie
Administrator

Sounds like a great event....stripers in the 30s is good....really good!

I wonder if there is any shallow water perch fishing near there....there must be....could be the way for me to get there next time!

Link to TF- http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/showthr … -amp-Greet

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Aug-15-10 8:21PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Ernie - I caught a few perch but I was more focused on gathering spot. The guy in the kayak next to me could not stop catching perch though. He had about 4 double hook ups that I saw while I was gathering bait. He was trying for spot and I gave him some fishbites so he could get going. He was catching them all on micro white jigs.

I had a great time at the event and it was awesome meeting so many other kayakers. From everyone I talked to it sounded like most everyone caught at least a fish or two, so complete success that no one got skunked! I caught 7 keeper sized rock in the morning as well as about a dozen blues in a blitz I ran into on the way back in. I went back out after lunch and caught a few more keeper sized rock with the largest being 30.5''. It was a blast fighting it on my kayak and chasing it around the pilings that it tried to wrap me in. It was funny, once I got out of the two that it had gone around, some how it was 40 yds out in the open and straight down. I got on it and it gave me a tow out in the middle of the span. It was great with all the boats there watching and seeing that the kayakers can catch some fish! This one was clean and came home for the table.

I didn't have my camera (left it in the car! it's always something...) but here's some I took when I was cleaning the fish.

Rock Thumb (the big one clamped down on me when I was trying to get my game clip on it) - http://lh6.ggpht.com/_LtCJkp6ExRo/TGiWsM9NFGI/AAAAAAAACxM/r2b1WoJZ1VM/s800/photo%203.JPG

The other one was about 23 inches - http://lh6.ggpht.com/_LtCJkp6ExRo/TGiWsXOwxJI/AAAAAAAACxQ/Wn7m_dWoUNo/s800/photo%202.JPG

Parmesan encrusted rockfish with a side of beer battered rockfish... for when you just can't decide... - http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LtCJkp6ExRo/TGiWsho-w8I/AAAAAAAACxU/zdzb9_8vc-0/s800/photo%204.JPG

Last edited by Redfish12 (Aug-16-10 5:03AM)

#5 Aug-16-10 4:11AM

Ernie
Administrator

The perchin' we do is by casting and retrivening beetle spins and small jigs using UL tackle. I think the perching they do on the  bridge is an up and down game using a double rig with a weight on the bottom. HUGE difference in the game!

That's incredible that you ran into a blues blitz while in the yak! Great job with the stripers too!

To post pictures, you need the link that works looks like this (I added 2 dashes before http and after jpg so you could see):

[img]- - http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj32 … 1350-1.jpg - -[/img]

Time to go fishin' again!

#6 Aug-16-10 5:05AM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

UL perching is the way to go, you could probably have caught just as many as we were only in about 6 or 7 feet of water when we were catching the perch. It'd be a lot harder further out.

I think we got lucky with the blitz, it was about the size of a football field and we just sorta ran into it. There were only a few boats working the outer edge and we paddled right through a corner of it with out disturbing the fish. They were all about the same size though, no more than 12 inches, but they were a lot of fun on my light rod!

Last edited by Redfish12 (Aug-16-10 6:14AM)

#7 Aug-16-10 5:45AM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

I wasn't targeting perch but there were plenty there. I got one while jigging a 1/2 oz. bucktail tippled with a gulp minnow but lost him boatside. He was 12-13". I thought it was a striper when he hit! Guys in boats seemed to be doing well on perch. I was tempted to switch to small jigs but had stripers on my mind. I think evening would be better LTJ for them. Seemed the guys live lining couldn't miss.

There were a couple blitzes in the morning. One was between the spans with blues and under sized rock. I got one blue about 18" in that one. A little later I spotted breakers south of the bridge. Some boats ran over. Me and Bill yak'd over. He peddled. I paddled. (definitely gonna see about one of them Hobies!) I got a rock about 16" in that one but it was mostly small blues.

Cobra Explorer Kayak
www.cbkainc.com

Board footer