Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-05-10 2:42PM

carpfisher

Carp fishing?

I want to do some carp fishing. I know that they are in the Pavillion lake but was wondering if anyone had some tips and tricks they are willing to share.

-What other lakes are there carp in besides the Pavillion lake?

Last edited by carpfisher (Jul-05-10 2:55PM)

#2 Jul-05-10 2:45PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Carp fishing?

I've heard of carp dough ball recipes involving corn flakes, oatmeal, vanilla extract, etc...Search for some on google and I'm sure you'll find something worth trying. Europeans have carp fishing down to a science. Be careful, there are some GIANT carp in some of the AV ponds, you may hook into more than you ask for.

#3 Jul-05-10 3:25PM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

Carpfisher - welcome to the pacemaker board!

I am a carp fishing fanatic as well but haven't figured these AV carp out yet. All the AV lakes have massive carp in them but they are not your average common carp that feed on sweet corn, dough bait, etc. These are Grass Carp, which seem to feed strictly on vegetation. I've read that they feed on mulberries that fall from the trees around the lakes but haven't had any success with the mulberries though. I've read on other threads here that some folks have had strikes at their lures from these carps. John Odenkirk, the VA fisheries biologist, told me they will feed on flies that look like weed or grass. The only reason I sometimes target these fish is because of the fight they can offer that no other bass or catfish can.

Maybe we can share some ideas. Ernie knows how passionate I am in hooking onto one of these guys. I just haven't figured them out yet...

Last edited by Bass Hunter (Jul-05-10 3:25PM)

#4 Jul-05-10 3:28PM

carpfisher

Thanks for the help. I see the fins from the carp all the time. Its nice to know that corn and dough don't work. I'll research a little and find out what other people use for grass carp.

-I haven't tried this but apparently any type of berry works and also just fresh grass. I don't know if this is true but it's something to try.

Last edited by carpfisher (Jul-05-10 4:02PM)

#5 Jul-05-10 3:37PM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

I read that colored miniature marshmallows might work because they are sweet and mimic floating berries. I purchased some from walmart and will be giving them a try. The marshmallows give off a sweet aroma when they slowly dissove in the water and from what I understand, carp have a very keen sense of smell.

When I see a pod of carp I will throw a couple at them to see if they show any interest and if they do, i think i'll slide a hook into one of the offerings...

#6 Jul-05-10 4:02PM

carpfisher

Let me know how they work out.

#7 Jul-05-10 8:49PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

My littlest brother has been hunting for one this summer as well.  He has been using corn and marshmellows with a small hook and 12lb test.

#8 Jul-06-10 6:48AM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

redskinsfan360 wrote:

My littlest brother has been hunting for one this summer as well.  He has been using corn and marshmellows with a small hook and 12lb test.

Did he have any luck catching one? I've had no luck with corn but am curious to see how he did with the marshmallows

#9 Jul-06-10 7:18AM

Ernie
Administrator

redskinsfan360 wrote:

Have you talked to him? He might know who 'carpfisher' is....   wink

Time to go fishin' again!

#10 Jul-06-10 7:33AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Pacemaker wrote:

redskinsfan360 wrote:

Have you talked to him? He migh know who 'carpfisher' is....   wink

My other brother just told me lol....    whoops!

#11 Jul-06-10 9:49AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

You can also fish aggressively with trebles and try to foul hook them...different fight, but fun nonetheless.

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#12 Jul-06-10 1:02PM

carpfisher

At http://www.livestrong.com/article/11547 … hing-tips/ they said that cherry tomatoes, watermelon, green beans, lima beans, worms and even freshly cut grass from your lawn work to catch grass carp. Next time I go fishing I'm going to try watermelon and cherry tomatoes.

#13 Jul-06-10 1:33PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

My secret recipe was strawberry jello and pop n fresh country biscuts. mix well together and form into dough balls with a leadered hook in it. \
Let dry up and change hook with bait.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#14 Jul-06-10 1:36PM

carpfisher

That sounds interesting, I'll be sure to try it out.

#15 Jul-06-10 3:47PM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

captmikestarrett wrote:

My secret recipe was strawberry jello and pop n fresh country biscuts. mix well together and form into dough balls with a leadered hook in it. \

Capt Mike

Capt Mike - will your concoction work on grass carp?

#16 Jul-06-10 8:52PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

captmikestarrett wrote:

Capt Mike

Sounds like my kind of snack!

Board footer